Corn is my kryptonite

I have tried growing corn for the last four years. Somehow it never works out for me. This is the first year I have tried growing it in Oregon. The previous years tried were in Arizona. I may have possibly got it right the last year I lived in Arizona, but will never know for sure as we moved before the corn was ready.

This year in Oregon I tried two types of corn. Popcorn and sweet corn. The sweet corn was supposed to be an early heirloom variety. What went wrong I’m not sure. Other than it was me trying to grow it. The ear was suppose to be 5 to 7 inches long. But when it was that size it wasn’t ripe as the kernels were white and not yellow. So I wait and wait and finally I harvest because the stalks are starting to die.

I am excited because I *think* this may be the year I finally get it right. As I am shucking the corn I first notice that I have some colors in a few of the corn kernels. So a phone call to my mom reveals that there was some cross pollination with the popcorn variety that was grown right next to them. Usually there is a space buffer which I didn’t do. You could feel the difference in the colored kernel and yellow kernel. The colored kernel was harder.

A couple of the ears had a lovely addition of a corn earworm. I just cut the bad part off.

After shucking all the ears I still had to get rid of quite a few that just hadn’t developed. They were still pale. Oh well, so next step of cooking a few ears. My mouth was watering just waiting for them to finish. On went the butter, salt, and pepper. First bite was going to be grand… Yeah, it wasn’t grand. The corn was not sweet, it was mushy, and just didn’t have a nice taste. Lee and I both didn’t finish our two ears.

I need to blanch all the ears of corn that are left. I figure I can use them in soups or something. Next year I can try again. One day I will get it right. With better soil fertility and a new corn seed maybe I will finally master growing corn.

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Corn is my kryptonite

Robin, I’m sorry your corn didn’t turn out too well! It did look really good, though! And they were good sized ears! Next year you’ll conquer the corn!

Very interesting about the cross-pollination. Too bad it wasn’t as tasty as it looks, because it sure is pretty. I’m going to try my first heirloom corn next year!

3. charity says:

Is it possible that you cooked it too long? The last batch we cooked at Mom’s wasn’t very sweet and she said that she may have boiled it too long.

4. robin says:

I’m not sure Cherry. Lee suggested trying a shorter boiling time for the next ones. We will try it but I don’t feel hopeful.

Robin, this is too funny. I just read your last comment on my blog and have to tell you that Navajo-Churros were the breed I originally wanted, after organizing a Rare Breed Challenge for the Online Guild of Weavers, Spinners, & Dyers. (http://www.onlineguildwsd.org.uk//) I loved all the different colors of wool as well as everything I learned about the breed. Then a blogosphere friend sent me a bunch of Shetland and I got involved with the online Shetland folks. I fell in love again. I figure that being smaller and easier to obtain, they are probably the best choice for us in our neck of the woods. I take it you are be a spinner?

Nope, not a spinner. I do want to use the wool though. This fall I plan on taking a knitting class. I have to start somewhere I guess…

6. Judy says:

There’s some folks down the road with the tallest corn I’ve EVER seen. I’ve been wondering what on earth they used to get it to grow so tall.

I look at it everyday when I drive by. Yesterday, I wondered how on earth they’d pick it! It would require a ladder!

Judy (in Oklahoma where most corn is normal)

I’d better warn you Robin. One thing will lead to another and before you know it you’ll be spinning your own yarn! *LOL.

8. robin says:

Judy- I’ve seen some people around here that I also wondered how they were going to pick their corn because of it being ENORMOUS. And then I also wondered about what they did to get it that high. Followed by corn envy in wishing that mine looked like theirs. I have discovered that gardeners are often plagued by garden envy and garden smugness. Envy because someones vegetable looks better than yours or smugness because your vegetable looks so much better than theirs.