Egg taste test

So here’s the grand egg test of whether you can taste the difference in store bought eggs versus home grown free range eggs.

So can you tell the difference? You betcha! The two eggs on the left were the home-grown variety and the one egg on the right was the store-bought variety. The yolk has a notably more flavorful taste that’s hard to miss. They were also a slightly brighter color. These two home grown eggs probably would have been even brighter yellow in the yolk if the chickens had gotten more free ranged. But since we were in the middle of home improvement projects galore, the dogs got to take over the chicken pen, and the hens stayed cooped up more.

This entry was posted in Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Egg taste test

I’ve been waiting for this post! I’m not surprised but delighted to hear there’s a taste difference besides the visual difference. You’ve got me wanting to hurry up on getting our own chickens.

Leigh- Chickens are addictive. I adore my hens and will find myself going out to watch them. Every time they see me they come running over. When I walk in their pen they follow me around to see what I am doing. Lee says that I couldn’t be a chicken farmer because I go out several times a day to see if I have any more eggs. I can’t help myself as it’s like getting a present. They are really easy to take care of and the eggs really do taste great.

This is so encouraging! I can’t wait to get chickens!!! What’s your egg count now?

We’ve been going to the local farm market to look at their chickens & chicks often – too see what they’re selling, what they recommend. Last week we talked to an Amish guy – there’s an Amish community a few miles south of us – they are having weekly poultry auctions starting mid Oct. Should be interesting, at least, to see what they’re auctioning. We also want to get guinea hens at the same time as our chicks & raise them together.

3. robin says:

Lynn we are getting 6 eggs a day now. The Barred Rocks and the Rhode Island Reds I think are the ones that are giving me most of the eggs. I really want the colored eggs to start showing up so Elwood and Jake better get busy!!! It’s a whole lot of fun having them around. It will be neat to see what type of chickens you end up with. I have never been around guineas before.

4. Lori says:

My 11 year old daughter just finished a science experiment for school in which she had 19 children and 2 adults taste test our homegrown eggs with store bought eggs. We had to scramble them for tasting since we get about 3 eggs a day from our 8 chickens and we wanted to use fairly fresh eggs. The students and the teachrs could not tell the difference between the eggs. We cooked them exactly the same in the same pan and had them alternate tasting “A” or “B” first. We did this trial 2 different time with the same result. We prefer our homegrown eggs. because we know what our chickens are eating and that they are healthy with no drugs or fertilizers, but the results of her experiment were interesting.

5. lee says:

Hi Lori, thanks for the comments. All I can say is that there’s a lot of factors involved. We thought we could tell a difference, but only in the yolk. Scrambling would probably mute any flavor differences. Then again, ours was not a very scientific blind taste-test.

The chicken’s diet has a large influence on the quality of their eggs, and, I would propose, the flavor. Recent nutritional testing by Mother Earth News showed that grass pastured hens produced eggs that were significantly lower in cholesterol and saturated fat and significantly higher in some vitamins when compared to store bought eggs. I know at least one of the egg samples used in that survey came from a grass-fed hen farm about 60 miles from here, and he moves his birds regularly to keep them on fresh grass. When we first taste-tested our eggs, they were hard at work decimating the grass and weeds in their pen. Since then they’ve turned it into a bare lot, and no doubt their eggs are at present quite similar to any other egg from a hen fed a standard laying ration. We are in the processing of moving the hen house to a much larger grass pen and we expect the color and flavor of the eggs to improve.

Either way, knowing what goes into the eggs (and what does not) tastes delicious.