A giant among eggs

Can you spot the big one? It’s been a month now and the girls are still having varying egg sizes. Most of the eggs have worked their way up to a medium small size. I just had a new girl start laying today and it was such a tiny petite egg compared to the others. There are three girls that still haven’t started laying. No colored eggs yet so I am pretty sure Elwood and Jake are in those two late ones. Today I was graced with the jumbo egg you see in the picture. It didn’t want to fit in the egg carton. I feel sorry for the hen that layed it.

This entry was posted in Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A giant among eggs

1. Charity says:

Maybe that wanted to have triplets!

Ooo! I wonder if it’s a double-yoker!!

3. robin says:

Cherry- HAHA. You had that egg as that dozen I gave to you guys. Someone told me there was a double yoker in that carton. Maybe it was the big one like Benita wondered. I haven’t got an egg that big since.

Robin, Wow – the eggs are awesome! I thought Elwood was a rooster?? Maybe not! Do you feed them anything special to make them lay bigger eggs? I can’t wait till my chicks are big enough to start laying!

5. Charity says:

I didn’t know those were the eggs you gave us, lol! Yes that big one was the double yoker.

6. robin says:

Lynn- Nope, Elwood and Jake are girls. Elwood is named after an old neighbor who has a fancy mustache. Lee named Jake in honor of the Blues Brothers so the two names would go together. We just feed them a layers ration. I have heard that free ranging chickens can lead to them having much bigger eggs from the better nutrition.

7. lee says:

Robin seems to like gender inversed animal names. Our chickens are all female (although the Araucanas still haven’t laid an egg), but the ones with names are Jake & Elwood, Jules (one of the reds .. although we’ve lost track of which one), and Bob, Bob, Bob & Ruffle Bob (all the barred rocks have the same name). Then there is Jack, the new female cat.

Only our dogs and my cat Jasper don’t have an identity crisis.