Canning jars find a home

After we bought our house last year we did a major cleanup trying to get rid of most of the garbage left behind by the former tenants. A few things we kept to reuse. I kept the metal storage rack in the picture below for Lee to use for his tools later. Basically the storage rack just sat outside for the last year after being moved out of the shack it was in during the cleanup.

Fast forward to now. After all the canning that I did over the summer I had cases of jars sitting around with no place to go. Some of them actually went driving around with us in the car for weeks due to not having any place to store them. So now I am the proud owner of a crusty storage rack sitting in my kitchen. Sigh. I made sure to clean it up really good but I never envisioned actually using it inside the house. It still doesn’t hold all of my canned goods but at least we can stop tripping over them and they don’t have to ride around in the car anymore. I guess when we get my pantry built it will be all that much sweeter.

I was very surprised when I counted up all my jars. My final canned goods for this year turned out to be 124 jars. My eyes bugged out at that.

• 51 quarts of tomatoes
  • 33 quarts of peaches
  • 14 quarts of cherries
  • 17 pints of beets
  • 6 pints of cherry syrup
  • 3 half pints of cherry jam

I also want to note that the beets that I canned with red wine turned out awesome! I finally tasted one of my jars and decided that I will definitely be making them again next year.

My uncle came twice and collected Hazel nuts from all our wild trees. We told him to knock himself out and take as much as he wanted. We were way too busy to do anything with them. He went and dried and cracked them, and then gave us a big tupperware container of them back much to our surprise. They are pretty tasty.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Canning jars find a home

1. Jessica says:

Mwhahahah, it looks suspiciously like Mom’s nasty old grey canning jar rack. I think you’re turning into mom!

2. zoe says:

beautiful canned goods, really pretty.

Good job on the canned goods! The beets canned in red wine sounds interesting. I don’t have this book but maybe our public library does, I’ll have to check.

I don’t know why but rows and rows of home canned food is just beautiful to look at. I used to go down into our cellar and my granny’s basement and just stare at the rows of color in those jars. And those jars you have are lovely – so much so that you really don’t notice the shelving unit they are on.

5. robin says:

Jessica- Ha! Well you were veggie gardening somewhat this year so I guess we are all turning into mom ­čÖé

Benita and zoe- Thanks. I think they are pretty too. When I was a kid I would also go and look at the canned jars in my moms pantry.

Leigh- Thats a good idea about checking out the book from the library. I still haven’t bought the book yet and would like to look at it before I do. The recipe is on page 108 of the book, which you might be able to see in the limited preview offered of the book on Google Books.

Your canning does look very nice, Robin. It reminds me of my mother-in-laws canning shelves. The hazelnuts look good – I can’t say I’ve ever tasted hazelnuts… But Randy loves nuts & is always trying to grow different types of nut trees. Maybe we’ll try hazelnuts…

7. Charity says:

Hmm, that’s an awful lot of beets Robin! As long as you don’t pickle eggs in their brine….. That was NOT my favorite experiment.