Best. Popcorn. Ever.

Back in September I was feeling glum about my troubles with growing sweet corn, but also feeling hopeful about the popcorn I grew. Well, Lee and I finally popped some of that Strawberry corn and it was AMAZING! I have never eaten popcorn that was so flavorful. It tasted so good that I didn’t even feel the need to put butter on it. Needless to say we are very excited about growing popcorn again next year. Lee says I should ditch the sweet corn and just grow a huge patch of the popcorn.

This entry was posted in Gardening, General, Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Best. Popcorn. Ever.

1. Jessica says:

Those things were tiny. You’re going to have to grow an awful lot of them to have enough popcorn to supply you for a whole winter!

2. lee says:

There’s more kernels on them than you might think. 5 of those ears provided our usual half-cup of kernels (shown in the photo at the top). When popped, it filled the bowl to the top. We haven’t tried out the other species of popcorn we grew with the larger ears and kernels.

For next year, I don’t think we’ll have any trouble growing enough popcorn. It’s a pretty low maintenance plant as long as it has water and nitrogen. The issue will be getting it all dried and shelled.

I’ve been looking at corn seed and trying to decide about popcorn, which I love. New I have to try the strawberry corn. I’m happy for the enthusiastic recommendation!

4. robin says:

Leigh- I don’t know if why it tasted so good was just because of the popcorn variety. It might be just because I have never eaten popcorn that was so fresh combined with being organically grown.

5. Rachael says:

Oh, I wish I could try some. Then again, I’d probably never want to have regular popcorn again.

The backlit kernels remind me of pomegranate seeds (or whatever they’re called).

Wonderful idea for my garden next year! My regular corn didn’t do too well this year, maybe popcorn will do better!

7. robin says:

Rachael- Yum, now I want to go eat a pomegranate. I love those things. To bad you weren’t here, we would have shared with you. When we finish off our homegrown popcorn I am going to be disappointed to go back to the store bought stuff. Lee and I are pretty big popcorn eaters in the winter.

Lynn- It’s always fun to experiment in the garden. I want to see if I can get some more varieties of popcorn to grow next year. I can’t believe that I am starting to get excited about next summers garden as I was so “done” with it by the end of this season. Lee wants me to give up the sweet corn since it never does well for me but I am going to try again next year. I really am determined that one year I will get it right!!

8. Charity says:

How do you get the popcorn kernels off the ears of corn? I was just talking about you growing your own popcorn tonight as Layla and Liza were eating the microwave kind. Tastes sooooo different!

9. lee says:

We just popped the kernels off by hand. We let the corn dry on the ear. Then, if you start at the end of the ear and pop a few kernels off, you can get the rest by pressing them toward the voids left by the missing kernels. It took about 5 minutes or so to get a half cup of kernels needed to pop. If we had a lot of ears to do (i.e. next year when I grow a field of this stuff), we will probably get a crank-operated corn sheller. That will process an ear in about 10 seconds or so.