Garden gate put up

Lee hung the garden gate today. It looks pretty nice I think. This is a big improvement over the cattle panel tied to the post which always tried to snag your clothes.

This entry was posted in Farm Structures, Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Garden gate put up

1. Linda says:

Love the gate! Did you guys make it yourself?

2. lee says:

Thanks! There’s a link in the first sentence that takes you to a post about the gate’s construction.

Now that gate is really smart-looking! Love the stain!

4. Linda says:

Ah gee, can’t believe I didn’t notice the link. That’s what I get for skimming the post quickly! Thank you! We will be needing to make a couple of gates soon and like I said, I love this one!

5. lee says:

Lynn, Leigh – Thanks, it’s a nice improvement from the awkward cattle panel. My neighbor stopped by a couple days ago and started sputtering when he realized the gate was through-tenoned. Yes, yes, the OCD takes over some times …

6. Sue Johnson says:

This gate is absolutely stunning. I have never seen anything like it. I would like to ask a friend to build one for me but I need to know what type of hardware you used for the gate. I am familiar with the side that screws into the wood and you set the gate over the two protruding bars. However, I don’t know what you have bolted to hold the other side on the top and bottom. Could you show me a photo of what you used. I would also like to know what type of latch you used to close/secure the gate. Thanks so much for sharing. Today is the first I’ve seen your blog. It is so nice. Again, thanks, Susie

Thanks Sue! The gate itself is built with through-tenons and has pieces of cattle panel inset into each section. There are better photos of the gate on the post about it’s construction. There’s a link in the first sentence of this post. There’s also a good photo of the gate from the opposite direction on this post.

The hinges are ordinary galvanized strap hinges with threaded pins screwed into the post. They can be found at most hardware stores. Here’s a typical example of the strap design. They are just through-bolted into the gate, with 3 carriage bolts each and fender washers on the opposite side.

The latch is built by Kiwi and it’s the best design I’ve used. I bought a bunch of them from Kencove a few years ago, and you can still find them there. There are several versions of the Kiwi latch, so be sure to check the others.

7. Paul Tokmakian says:

Thanks for the information about your gate. I was looking for information about hinges and exactly the way they attach to a light weight gate. Your information and photos really helped. Thanks!

I’m glad it was helpful. This gate still works perfectly 5 years later. It could use a coat of paint though…