It stopped raining. Quick, to the garden!

The weather finally let off raining for a little bit. So we did a big ol’ “YES” over here while jumping up and down with excitement. Finally we can do some garden planting.

Lee dug a bed for the asparagus Friday night after work. This area was in the low section of the garden so Lee had to use a shovel due to the many rocks in the soil. I watched him. It looked exhausting. I told him so.

Then on Saturday he hoed a new 30 foot bed for some more potatoes. It still looked exhausting. I told him that again.

On Sunday he decided to hoe some more beds. He did a little one that finished out a previously hoed bed.

Then he did a new longer row. I told him he was making me tired.

“Are you tired yet Lee?” I kept asking him that over and over.

I think he was getting tired of my questions, so I decided that he wasn’t that tired.

We planted the potato bed and the asparagus, but I haven’t planted anything in the other one and a half beds. Lee added several pounds of lime to each bed to start adjusting the pH. Rain was in the forecast so I didn’t want the seeds to rot. When I wasn’t watching Lee hoeing the garden beds I did some weeding in my flower beds. A few of my plants didn’t make it over the winter but most of them did so I was happy overall.

I also noticed that the lilac bushes are all out in bloom. My dad and sister hate lilacs because they get headaches. I don’t mind them though. If I had room inside I would cut big bouquets and put them around the house — it’s like bringing the outdoors inside.

One of my favorite trees is now blooming: the Dogwood. I love how long they bloom.

I’m thinking about cutting out this flowering bush. It’s in front of the Dogwood tree and it reminds me of Queens Anne’s Lace, which I hate. (Mainly because we have so much of it that grows out in our fields at the moment.)

This entry was posted in Gardening, Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It stopped raining. Quick, to the garden!

Way to go Lee! Looks really good. I love black soil. And lilacs. Both of them remind me of where I grew up, Illinois.

Your soil looks very good and healthy! May your garden be very prosperous this year!
    BTW – you have alot of fences around your garden – it looks very safe!

That’s a lot of digging. I love the lavender lilacs the best – and the smell is heavenly!

4. Jessica says:

I like how your job is watching. I want such a job. :)

5. lee says:

Leigh – Thanks! Yeah, I remember those black midwest soils in Indiana too.

Lynn – I hope so. We’re waiting on soil test results which should give us a better idea what we are starting with. The garden has been in pasture for years, and that does a good job of raising the organic matter content, but we’re going to have to start adding some compost this year to put back what we are removing. The inner fence is chicken netting (electrified) to keep the chickens out of the garden areas we have planted. The outer fence is the main fence to keep the deer out of all of it.

Benita – Yes, it’s been good exercise! My blisters are still recovering. I finally sprung for some nicer gloves. I noticed that every hole in a glove lead to a blister.

Jessica – That’s usually your job too, when you come over to visit. :)

Looks great, guys. It will be a lot easier next year. Well, until you decide to expand. :)

I have had great luck with electric fence around the garden for keeping deer and chickens out.

Ron

7. Rachael says:

The lilacs are so pretty! I like the Dogwood too. It reminds me of some similar pink flowers over here. I don’t know what they’re called, though.

I hope your garden turns out, especially after all that work.