We lost a chicken

Late this evening I went out to put the hens to bed. As I got close to the hen house I saw one of the Rhode Island Reds laying in front of the doorway. I thought to myself, “that’s odd, why is she dust bathing in front of the door?” I had just been out with the chickens collecting eggs and making some garlic water for them about a half an hour before. As I got closer I knew something wasn’t right. I threw my handful of corn into the coop for the other hens and then bent down to touch her. I rolled her over to see if she was just sleeping. She wasn’t. It was the strangest thing as she looked peaceful and just as fine as could be. There were no marks on her or anything. I guess she must of just had a freak accident or something. So our 11 hens is now down to 10.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to We lost a chicken

Oh gosh, this is sad. It’s the thing every livestock owner dreads finding. Hopefully all is well with the rest of your flock.

2. Michelle says:

Do chickens have heart attacks? That is so strange!

Oh my gosh! I have read about this thing in other blogs, but I don’t remember much!! I’m going to have to go back & look again, but I definitely remember reading about someone’s chicken just dieing for no reason. Your girl just became a hen, right (i.e., a year old)? poor girl. And then there were 10.

I hope this is the only one. Maybe one of the others, with too much garlic breath, breathed on her?

5. Jessica says:

Alas poor Yorick, we knew him well……

6. lee says:

Leigh – Yeah, it was quite the unhappy surprise, and more so since we have no idea what the cause was. All the other chickens are fine.

Michelle – That’s a good question. I don’t know. The fact that she died right at the door up to the coop makes me suspect some sort of unfortunately collision with another bird took place and she broke her neck.

Lynn – Yup, they are about one year old now. I’d be curious about other causes for mysterious chicken deaths. She seemed really healthy, and had no marks on her from an animal.

Benita – The coop smells like garlic, but the others all seem okay with it. I kind of wish it had been one of the scruffy Barred Rocks that Robin is convinced have a problem, instead of a Red in perfect condition.

Jessica – Sadly, one of the Reds actually had a name — “Jules”. She was by far the friendliest of the 11 when they were young, but as they got older her colors changed to match the other to Rhode Island Reds and we lost track of her. Perhaps it was Jules, perhaps not.

I hate losing chickens, because I usually don’t get any clues as to why so I can change anything. Frustrating. My only strategy for dealing with it, long-term, is to set up an incubator or get some broody breeds to raise replacements.

I know that dogs will chase a chicken to death. Mine usually just disappear without a trace, other than the hawks and bobcats we’ve caught in the act.

Ron

8. Charity says:

Layla’s glad it wasn’t one of the Bob’s