Part of the charm of our run-down old 1937 farm house is in its exterior details. As we replace old windows with new windows, we have been very careful to match the original look with the new look. Our focus on the details extends to the original window trim.
On Monday the window that Lee installed back in February had its trim installed. We hired out this work because Lee hates ladders.
We used SPF [Spruce Pine Fir] engineered wood for the trim, as it is extremely stable and comes pre-finished. The window trim was actually assembled on the ground using pocket screws and then fastened into place after all the shingle siding was cut back sufficiently. The missing cedar shingle siding was then restored under the window.
Most of the new trim has the exact same dimensions as the original. The large butt-jointed boards on the sides and top are wrapped in a casing to create a reveal effect. The sill trim had to change slightly, as the original wood windows had an integrated sill that extended back under the sashes. Our new aluminum-clad windows have their own sill, so the trim adds a surface-applied “sill” made of 2×4 SPF with a beveled top surface. This sheds water and mirrors the sloped sill of the originals. We’ve decided that the new sill extends out a little too far, so Lee is going to plane it down a half inch or so before we primer everything.