Last week to get our garden in and…

…we are sick. If Lee can come back from the living dead somehow by this coming weekend, and I’m not too out of it, we will try to squeak a few things in. Otherwise, it looks like it is going to be somewhat of a bust for our summer garden. I’m feeling disappointed but there isn’t a whole lot I can do about it. The weather has been awful, one of the wettest springs in forever, and trying to hand till made us slower.

I talked to another neighbor a few days ago who told me that they had planted twice this year as the first time everything rotted. They are hoping for better luck this time around. My mom is squeaking things into her garden this week also, while not planting any corn. On her north sided hill she didn’t figure that it would have enough time to grow.

My plan is to plant a winter garden instead. Last year I didn’t because I was so frazzled by the end of the summer I didn’t feel like it. This year, with not a whole lot going on out there, I will still be in the mood. Besides, it feels like I haven’t even started gardening yet. I might see if I can pick some vegetables at some local farms when they come into season. That way I will be able to still do some of my canning and preserving that I want to do.

This past weekend was really beautiful. The perfect day for doing some weeding. So, hmmmm, where do I start? After all these months of rain and no weeding going on this is what our garden looked like. Makes a girl want to cry. Now if I can just find where I planted those beets….

I used some crushed oyster shell back at the end of May to help combat my slug problem. Lets just say it worked not one iota, and before I could get my sluggo bait they had wiped out all my newly sprouted seedlings. I have some collards that kind of survived and since I started using sluggo bait they have perked up along with my broccoli. I was really looking forward to my kohlrabi and cabbage too. I’d eat the slugs out of vengeance, but they just don’t sounds as appetizing. Bleck.

Our potatoes look gorgeous. At least what you can see of them. They finally got hilled for the first time. Lee had to bring the lawn mower into the garden and mowed down the pathways. Then he mowed where he hopes to dig new beds if he ever feels better. I couldn’t help but have a few giggles that we were having to mow our vegetable garden.

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Last week to get our garden in and…

Your potatoes look terrific, guys. This year has been a real challenge for gardening over here, too. There isn’t much a person can do about the weather… other than to diversify the portfolio and hope something enjoys the excess [whatever]. 🙂

This is about the last time I can stand watching my beautiful cabbage family get smoked by hot weather before heading. Thoughts of a high tunnel are swirling now…

Ron

2. Jessica says:

After you finish mowing your garden, want to come over and mow Mom’s? She’s weedeated the thing twice and it still looks like a jungle.

3. lee says:

Ron – Thanks. The potatoes look better after I mowed the walkway and hoe’d up the sides. Diversity is definitely a key. Some of this we’ll just figure out in time too, like how to handle it when the weather goes awry. I’m sorry to see you closed up your blog. I always enjoyed reading it, even when I didn’t comment. 🙂

Jessica – I’m not up to mow anybody’s garden right now. I’ve spent about 80% of the past week in bed, and just walking is exhausting. Most of my flu symptoms are gone, but the energy sure isn’t back.

I’m so sorry to hear Lee has been sick. Flu seems to take so long to recover from too.

It has been a tough year for us all, garden-wise, but it different ways it seems. Robin, I like your idea of a sizeable winter garden.

It was a small comfort to see that I’m not the only one losing the battle of grass invasion. The other problem I’m having are some plant diseases. My potatoes are suffering from some sort of blight and like you all, we’d hoped these would be our staple starch. All the while I contemplate true food self-sufficiency and wonder how we’d manage if I couldn’t order more seeds for the crops that fail. I don’t have any answers to that problems though. It’s a difficult lesson, but an important one for homesteaders, I think.

5. Jessica says:

Bummer that you’ve been so sick. Mom finally got the last of her garden in last night. Very last minute. I had a migraine so I staggered out and sat on a tarp and watched. And refereed the cats, all of them were supervising and “helping” by sitting on the lettuce sprouts and sleeping on the corn beds. If any of her stuff ever dries out and grows I know she will be shunting fresh veggies off on you. You can have all of the squash and zucchini you want. 🙂

I sure hope you two get to feeling better. It has been a very wet year for us, too. It seems we get terrible thunderstorms and very hard rain nearly every night (and feel special on those few nights we don’t). We have several fields standing in water and the corn is some of them just look sick and yellowy.

At least your potatoes do look great. Good luck with your winter garden.

7. robin says:

Jessica- I’m glad that mom got her whole garden in finally. Someone in our family needed to. lol. Maybe your horse would like some zucchini? Though mom may not appreciate you doing that. I may just have to come down and mooch. Least I can get excited about how well moms garden is doing instead of ours.

Benita- Thanks Benita, it’s been a long process feeling better. Lee and I are finally starting to move around slowly but we are still beat. I thought that thunder storms helped things to grow? Corn growing badly in Indiana is almost a crime, huh? lol I was laughing with Lee saying how it’s almost the end of June and we are finally getting warm days. Summer is an odd one this year, for sure.

Leigh- Lee and I both hobbled out the to garden tonight to do some weeding. Oh my, it was beyond out of control. It’s not nearly done, but at least my lettuce and beets can see daylight again. I don’t know why weeds have to grow so ding dong fast! It should be fun to try winter gardening for the first time. Lee and I were talking about what oldtime gardeners must have done when crops went bad. We pondered if maybe they had enough seed for two years so if the crops failed you could try again (or neighborly connections)? Obviously, a person can’t have a great garden every year as weather, disease, accidents, and pests will hit or have an affect on different plants in different years.

8. Jessica says:

Hah! I have never gotten a horse to eat zucchini, they are too smart!