Beat up by beets

I harvested all my beets today. Well, maybe I should say I did it this evening. Since it was so hot earlier in the day I thought that I would can them when it cooled down. I was feeling so brilliant and smart with myself.

So I scrubbed them up and we started the process of boiling them outside on a big propane burner. We ended up having three large batches to boil separately. Inside, I had my favorite pickled beet wine recipe simmering on the hot plate. Then I peeled each batch of beets, sliced them, filled pint after pint, poured the wine concoction in it, screwed on the lids, and got ready to can them in a water bath.

“Robin, where are your canning utensils,” Lee asked me at 2:00 am in the morning as he was getting the canner ready.

I looked at him blankly and then with dawning horror.

It was most definitely an “oh crap” moment. I did all my canning last year down at my mom’s house and just used her tools. I had never bought a set of my own. So off we zoom to Walmart as it was the only thing open around here that late that would have canning supplies. We got there and then walked around the store for about 20 minutes before we finally found a set. Walmart employees are really, really scarce that early in the morning to bug with innocent questions from bleary eyed canners.

So we get home around 3:00 am and started the canner going, and by 6:00 am the last batch came out. I got 19 pints of the most glorious red beets canned. The 6:00 am time was so not worth it, but oh those beets (when I open one up three weeks from now) will very much be worth it. I didn’t bother to can any plain beets as the wine recipe is so ding dong good. Lee, who hates beets, will eat these because they taste that good.

This entry was posted in Gardening, Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Beat up by beets

Hmmm…I really don’t like beets, so I never prepare them or grow them. Randy likes them, but never gets them from my table! Maybe I’d like your wine recipe??? Maybe it would change my whole outlook on beets??? I will have to look into your book, The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich.

That’s funny you finished up your canning at 6am!!! Early morning Walmart runs always make we wonder why Walmart stays open all night – is it really cost-efficient for them to stay open? But, hey, it worked out for your canning project! Please let us know how good the beets are in 3 weeks!

Whew, I don’t envy your canning marathon, though I appreciate wanting to avoid the heat. I love beats but Dan isn’t too crazy about them. I have a bunch of seed, so I will definitely try this recipe!

3. Matt says:

Yum yum! My parents have been canning theirs as well, and they are mighty tasty. Maybe you should send me some so that I can do a comparison review for my blog??? 😀 😀

Well, I have to give you credit for doing it at a time when you won’t get cooked, too, but…wow! I’d end up doing something terribly wrong at that time of night and end up with something tasting like turpentine.

Oh, yeah, the midnight walmart trips… 🙂 People can talk trash all they want about Walmart, and nowadays I prefer less of a walk-a-thon experience, but there’s a lot to be said for being able to get what you need after hours. 🙂

The beets look great!

Ron

6. charity says:

Chuckling to myself thinking about what kind of folks you guys would see in that Walmart at that time. Next up on peopleofwalmart: bleary eyed canners.

7. Pingback: Food preservation roundup » Farm Folly

8. Hey are you going to post that recipe? I love beets!

Robin quoted the source and page number for the recipe in the older post she linked to above, namely The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich, first edition, page 108. You might be able to find it in your local library (we did .. although we’ve now bought the book). Since the book is still in print, I’d be concerned about copyright to repost the recipe here, but you can see the whole recipe here on Google books.