Pigs for this winter

We found a source for pigs about a mile and half away from us. Earlier this week we went and looked at all the babies and the mother. We put half down on two weaner pigs, so sometime in September they will be ready. They were only $75 each which is really reasonable for our area, and the breeder shows her pigs at fairs and imports pigs from the east coast for better genetics. Lee and I are excited!

This entry was posted in Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Pigs for this winter

Holy smokes! That seems spendy, but like anything else – if it’s what you want it’s probably worth it. And if that’s the going price, well then the good genetics are well worth it.

Just be sure to put a 4th side on that pen, instead of relying on electric fence alone, like I did the first time. Galloping pigs in the woods are hard to find… pretty much gotta wait till they are hungry. 🙂

Ron

2. lee says:

For around here that price is average for a normal pig. My brother was paying about $100/piglet for Berkshire’s in the summer a couple years ago. Even the normal breed pigs go for about that much in the spring. I’m really not sure why people want pigs in the spring (other than for 4-H). The glut of zucchini and unwanted pumpkins doesn’t happen till fall.

Yeah, their pen will be former chicken pen. It has 3″ spaced high-tensile field fence, plus offset hot wires. We’ll need to protect the barn and fence off the wellhead with cattle panels before we get the piglets. I’m seriously hoping there are no escapes.

Hot wire is your friend, my friend. They are smart, and will not repeatedly shock themselves for the joy of it (unlike chickens, etc).

I cannot fathom a pig any time other than Fall, myself, simply due to butchering and feed considerations. Unfortunately, this year got pretty messed up thanks to ‘friends’ and we won’t be getting pigs. Sad, sad times.

Maybe you will take enough photos to make it ok, though? 🙂

Ron

Dan and I were talking this afternoon about getting pigs. It won’t be so soon for us, In the meantime, I’ll be very interested in how it goes and what you learn.

Wonderful news! We’ll be watching! I learn so much from reading about what other people do! Thank you!

Yummm! I can smell the bacon from here and there is nothing like ham and beans with cornbread in the winter. Gosh, now I’m drooling!!!

7. lee says:

Ron – Yes, winter butchering and the availability of garden produce factor pretty highly into our fall pig purchase idea as well. We are raising 5 pumpkin plants out there just for the pigs.

Leigh – We are sort of diving in head first. I’m glad to have my brother as a reference for any of the normal issues, although I must say that our philosophies do differ quite a lot. He raised his predominantly on concrete and in larger numbers (5).

Lynn – Yes, we hope it goes well. Worst case, you can use us as a reference of what not to do. I wonder what all our suburbanite neighbors will think when they round the corner by our house and catch a hint of euww’ de piglet.

Benita – Yes, home-grown bacon and hams trump anything you can buy in the store. We are spoiled from eating only nicely raised pork for 2 years now. We are hoping our own pig might be even better if we are also feeding them pumpkins, apples, and other fall produce.

8. Charity says:

Hey wait a sec… I thought me and Skipper were gonna move into your barn. Three piglets for free…. lol. Have fun with the piglets. Do you think you’ll get the fence done in time? 😉

9. Rae says:

Found your blog a few days ago, and reading back through the posts. Had to comment on this one. That’s a screaming deal. Where do you get your pigs? We’re getting spring weaners, because it works better for us, and these will be our first pigs since we were kids. While there are several farms offering them on craigslist in the Portland area, we don’t know anything about the farms or the quality of their animals. Would much rather buy from someone recommended. Don’t know if your supplier is anywhere near Portland, or does spring weaners, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. 🙂

We are located at the southern end of the Willamette Valley (the Eugene/Springfield area). I believe our breeder charges around $100/pig in the spring because of the greater 4-H demand. At that price, I doubt it would be cost effective to drive this far.

Of course, my truck gets about 13 mpg, so just starting it often isn’t cost effective. 🙂