Our pigs and the boiled egg treats

Today when I was bringing firewood in for the day I noticed that the pigs were lazing in their hut with dirty snouts. I thought that was odd because they haven’t been rooting much since their little original pig pen is a muck pit. Then I looked further out in the pen and noticed a big new section that had been rooted up. AHA! After having the pigs for almost three months they finally decided to get brave. I went and told Lee to go take a look.

The little piggies heard Lee out behind the barn inspecting their dig site and thought “EGGS, EGGS, EGGS, EGGS, EGGS”!

We seem to have flying pigs around here when they think there are egg treats on the line. It’s actually quite funny as I had no idea big pigs could run so fast.

So then there was the usual huffing around snorting for eggs.

But then they felt upset because Lee wasn’t lobbing any eggs at their mouths.

So they pretended that they didn’t really want any and were just hanging around the back of the barn bird watching.

But nobody believed them because our pigs LOVE boiled eggs. Basically they would shove the other one off a cliff to get that last egg.

So I finally took pity on them and went and got them their eggs for the day.

Then the egg throwing started and pigs started stuffing as many in their mouth at one time as they could. It’s tradition for them.

I’m almost finished with my stockpile of frozen eggs. We started storing eggs in the spring whenever we would have extras, as we thought it would be good protein for pigs. We are a little concerned it might affect the taste of the meat, so we’ll feed them the last of the eggs in just a few more days, and then we’ll switch to leftover pumpkin. The best pork we’ve ever had was finished on large quantities of pumpkin.

This entry was posted in Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Our pigs and the boiled egg treats

I’ve heard pigs are a hoot. Obviously yours are no exception!

Interesting about the pigs diet and meat flavor. I hadn’t thought about that. Interesting that they love eggs. Do you use any of your frozen eggs for your own use?

2. I, too, had no idea pigs could run that fast! I LOVE the first picture – the one bringing up the rear is in a serious all-out sprint! -Carrie

3. john Gray says:

oh I love pigs
    I am definately going to get a couple in the spring!!!
    fiesty little devils

4. Phoebe says:

Oh, those two are the absolute picture of happy, fat pigs! They are so cute in that second photo. Good thing we started with turkey’s and not with pigs, or the Reluctant Homesteaders would have a couple of fat pet pigs instead of a gimpy turkey. ( at least they wouldn’t get on the hood of the car…)
    That was an excellent idea to freeze the eggs, I’m going to try that next spring.
    Did you stockpile pumpkins to feed them?

Isn’t it supposed to be eggs AND ham rather than eggs IN ham?

Cute little porkers. I can smell the fresh pork chops in the oven, now. Yum!!!

6. Faith says:

Baby pigs are so adorable. We loved to run and play with them as children. Not so much when they get bigger, so you have to enjoy them early. LOL.

But they are tasty. Would love to be raising a couple of pigs a year!

Great blog!

~Faith

7. robin says:

Leigh- Yeah, I’ve had more than one person tell us that you get what you put in when it comes to pork. That explains why all the naturally raised pork you get tastes night and day different from the commercially raised pork in the store.

What Pigs Don’t Know- It is really funny watching them run around. Never fails to make me smile.

john Gray- Good! I bet you will love having them. They are fun to watch and really don’t take much work

Phoebe- Haha, yeah it would be expensive to have pet pigs of their size. We did grow pumpkins especially for the pigs but we didn’t get as much as we were hoping for with the odd garden growing season.

Benita- We’ll have eggs with our ham of eggs. šŸ™‚

Faith- The pigs scare me with how big they are so I could never run with them. When they were piglets they were super cute and not nearly as likely to eat you.

8. Maude Vang says:

9. lee says:

Ha ha, yeah, in the second picture that little pig in the rear is taking a tumble when it’s feet slid out to its right. It almost made it look graceful though, and was back in the running.

10. Susan says:

love your pigs. We had a micro pig dumped on us 2 days ago, just left at our gate. We used to keep Black Iberian and a Pot Bellied pigs so do know a bit about them. The poor pig that has been dumped is in a bad way skin wise. She was scared and upset but after 2 days is coming on fine. She screamed blue murder when we held her to rub argen cream into her cracked sore skin. the problem looks down to bad feeding by the looks of it. Feeding her good things with added olive oil and dusted her with diatomic earth to kill any mites she might have. Question, do you shell your boiled eggs or not?

Yes, we shelled our eggs, but I’m not sure if it’s strictly necessary. Someone pointed out that the pig digestive system is similar to ours and asked if I wanted to eat egg shells. Then again, pigs will eat lots of things that I wouldn’t.

11. Susan says:

Hi Lee, thanks for the reply. Sweetpea is looking better, eating well and loves the boiled eggs lol. We keep chicken as well and have a surfeit of small eggs from the new layers. Pigs skin is improving with cod liver oil and olive oil plus diatomic powder added to her feed. The diatomic powder is a natural wormer so that helps too. Thank goodness we have an orchard of orange and other fruit trees to put her in or we would have problems. Here, we are near a village east of Malaga, Spain, we are know as the english with lots of animals. We are not normal for how the Spanish see english. We have reformed, this is the last one, three farmhouses here so know how hard you must have worked. Keep up the good work.