Dogage disposal system

Since the pigs are gone, there’s a serious risk that vegetable scraps could start piling up in the kitchen. Thankfully, we have a pair of highly efficient biological garbage disposal units. To activate disposal, drop a scrap of vegetable on the floor.

Thunk

Aggie is very enthusiastic about her job and is on call 24 hours a day. Within seconds of impact (or a foot tapping), she will be on the scene to investigate. If she had her way, our compost pile would be a lonely place–not one scrap would ever reach it.

For the life of him, Edgar can’t figure out why Aggie is eating all that green stuff. But hey, if she likes collard greens, then he should like collard greens. He forces himself to chew and swallow a leaf with a morose look on his face. An eating competition then commences, with Aggie eating as much as she can possibly fit in her stomach, and Edgar slowly but determinedly trying to keep up the pace. Eventually Edgar gives up and collapses in the corner.

Aggie eats until she can eat no more. Twenty minutes later, she is back for a topping off. Hmm, that’s a lot of fiber. We may need to take the dogs out again tonight …

This entry was posted in Pets. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Dogage disposal system

Our dog has the same sense of duty… sadly eating whatever the cat eats. :)

Ron

2. Phoebe says:

Sadly, I have gotten so dependent on the dogs to clean up floor spills, I don’t even think about it until I cook at someone else’s house and realize I need to clean up the carrots I dropped.
    At home, when we spill, we nonchalantly point at the spot when the dog comes tearing around the corner- beckoned by the “plop”. I think the Dogage method is a win win arrangement. Everyone should have one or two (or three)! What other Disposal would would work all afternoon getting a fried potato out from under the stove?

Oh, I think I would have that same problem if I cooked elsewhere. Our dogs have both been taught the “foot tap”, even if they don’t hear something hit the floor. Cute mental image, by the way. I can picture my dog doing that. “Must get potato …”

3. Charity says:

Aww, Edgar’s so cute. He’s getting all furry again. :)

4. yes..I concur! Our dog does not generally get fed human food/waste by hand. We cut it up into small pieces and throw it over our shoulders when he is not looking onto the floor. Its hilarious watching him look for food to magically appear on the floor..for around 3 minutes after the treats are gone he patiently stares at the floor around him waiting for more to appear.

That is funny. My dog Edgar will stare at the floor waiting for food to magically appear too. Aggie just stares intently at me as if her eyes could will my food to jump into her mouth.

• Phoebe says:

I had a dog who stared at us the entire time we prepped food. We used to joke that he was trying to mind meld with us “drop the steak, drop the steak” then one day I really did, right into his open mouth.
        You have watch out for those smart ones….

5. I am glad we’re not alone. Dropping a loaf of bread on the floor is a disaster though, since the wolves are at the ready! Sometimes you just can’t save everything!

• Phoebe says:

I know what you mean! It is a little like sticking your hand into a crocodile pit. Although, the dogs do listen a little better to my “No!” since they burned their mouths on a roast that slid out onto the floor (due to oven rack failure).

6. It never ceases to amaze me what our dog, Snickers, will consume. Pretty much anything that hits the floor is fair game for him. I had a rolling fit of laughter about 2 years ago when I accidentally dropped a chili piquin on the floor, and didn’t know it until I heard Snickers having a gagging fit in the corner of the kitchen. One time I used an old tree stump in our back yard as an anvil to break open a beef bone for him, and he proceeded to gnaw on the stump – dumb dog.

That is funny (and snickers is a cute name). Edgar ate a pepper corn very nonchalantly just recently and Aggie ate adobe sauce that spilled on the floor without batting an eye. Dogs are silly. :)