Snow day

Today was a snow day. Woohoo! When it’s snowing around the rest of the country we rarely get any on the valley floor where we live. If we do get some snow it’s just a dusting and melts away before noon.

You could hear the chickens screaming with discontent. Not one would venture outside.

I knew something was different when I woke up and there was a brilliant light reflecting through the window.

I love days like this as the world seems quiet when it’s blanketed with snow.

There are always a few green spots to interrupt my winter wonderland.

With a full 3″ of snow I got very excited about making a snow creature. I tried to make Poseidon, the Greek god of the seas (it seemed fitting to make him out of water) but the sun turned him into a leaning tower before I could finish him.

So I knocked Poseidon down and started over. Instead of a Greek god, two little cute bears decided they needed to be made. The bigger bear is drinking some coffee just like me.

By evening most of the snow was gone. I am sad because I would love longer snow days.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Snow day

1. ..wow..very pretty. Usually when it snows at our place everything has been dead for a month and there is no green…the trees I planted in the summer are 3/4 way under the snow and the wily squirrels have built tunnels to the bird feeders! weather envy..

Yeah, Oregon has some pretty backwards weather compared to most of North America. It almost never rains here in the summer, so by July/August everything is golden brown and dormant. The fall and winter rains bring it all back to verdant green.

2. Rae says:

We got about 4″ from yesterday’s storm, though most of it was dusty dry snow. No snow bears for us… Wouldn’t stick! 🙂

3. Charity says:

Aw, the little bears are cute! Remember when we had a snow day in college and lined the driveway with miniature snowmen? So fun! 🙂 I love snow days.

Heh… I’ve seen more than enough snow for one year, but the melting Poseidon softened me a little bit. And bears drinking coffee? Ok, one more snow storm would be ok I guess. 🙂

Ron

Robin has much more snow-creature imagination than me. When I came outside to find the wreck of Poseidon, she was contemplating what to build next. I suggested a slug, the state animal of Oregon. Admittedly the bears turned out much cuter…

Oh, it looks pretty! You can have all the snow you want over there on the west coast. But please keep it away from us here in the east! I’m hoping that spring is on it’s way, I’ve had too much snow! I’m tired of being cold!

The bears are very cute! 🙂 It looks ironic with you out there without a coat on, the snow looks cold, but you don’t look cold at all! Maybe it’s the coffee keeping you warm!

She claims she wasn’t cold at all. It must have been the exertion, as Robin can be cold while sitting in front of the woodstove with 5 layers on. 🙂

6. Buck says:

You got a lot more snow that we did up here. Our chickens were out in the inch or so we had. They would pick up their feet and the show would be stuck to them. I marveled at their weather resistance. I would not want to be out in that in my bare feet. Or bear feet, like the guys in your photo.

Ha ha! I think our chickens just waited for it to melt a bit before they ventured out. Last year taught us that chickens are very cold weather tolerant. Now when it’s freezing I worry that they’ll still have liquid water in the morning, but I don’t worry about finding them all frozen on their roost.

7. I really really really want to live in a place where snow is rare enough to be a refreshing novelty and not a months-long headache!

Great photos. Love the bears!

You make great snow creatures! And it just seems odd to see you standing next to snowbears with no coat – and not even a sweater – on.

I have to admit I was shocked too. She was out there so long that I made a fresh batch of coffee and brought her out a cup, expecting to find her shivering. Instead, she was fine and putting the final touches on a bear which was itself holding a mug of coffee.