Chickens, broccoli, and rutabagas

It was that time again to mow the chicken pen. The hens were getting lost in the grass so I took pity on them. Since I needed to mow I decided I would bag the grass so I could do a mulch of sorts around all the fruit trees in the pen. A week ago I fertilized the trees and now I want to kill all the grass around them.

When I went into the garden I was impressed with how well the rutabagas were still doing. The leaves on them had bounced back from the slug attacks in the fall/winter. I planted them in July of last year and they still taste just as good now as they did in the fall. I was pretty happy with that, as my kohlrabi developed texture issues after being left out in the garden too long. I will say that a few days after taking this picture the plants threw up seed heads so I guess their end is near.

My Purple Sprouting broccoli is…purple! I planted it in July of last year also and it’s been hanging around not doing much. I walked by it recently and my jaw dropped. It is so purple that I think Crayola needs to name a crayon after it. It may be purple but boy does it tastes delicious! Nothing beats young fresh broccoli shoots steamed with some smokey cheese melted over it.

This entry was posted in Gardening, Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Chickens, broccoli, and rutabagas

That broccoli is amazing… I’ve never seen anything like it.

Yeah, it’s really wild. It continues to produce lots of side-shoots, but we’ve caught up with it for the moment. I always hate it when broccoli flowers before we can eat it.

2. Phoebe says:

Yep that mowing. A lot of work, but it sure looks beautiful for a little while. That Broc is so cool. How interesting that the head is so purple but the leaves are green! Did it stay purple after you cooked it?

It’s 8 days later and we are mowing again. Ugh. ­čÖé

We usually boil/steam broccoli, and it loses the purple color when it’s cooked to tender. Surprisingly, the water it’s cooked in takes on the purple color instead.

Purple broccoli? Wow, that’s pretty neat. I planted some purple asparagus, which, will hopefully make it if it doesn’t get sogged out with all our rain.

I didn’t know that there was a purple asparagus. That’s pretty neat. We’re still waiting for our asparagus to sprout this season.

Purple broccoli? Every parent of a picky 4 year old needs to know about this!

Okay, what variety is it and where can I get seeds?

Benita I bet kids would love it! I never thought about that. I got my seeds from Territorial Seed Company but you can find lots of other places that carry them. The variety is just called Purple Sprouting Broccoli. You plant it in the summer and it heads up in the spring.