Fields of grass

With Lee’s tractor on holiday our fields are now officially out of control. Some of the grass is taller then me and I’m no shorty. Most of the grass is seeding out and it’s really quite beautiful. The fields have taken on the purple-pink haze of ripe grain, intermixed with yellow spots of Hawksbeard.

I feel like I need a machete to get through parts of the field.

It makes me feel bad that we don’t have a use for all this grass yet.

There is a thicket of Hazel nut trees on the back part of our property. It is so dense that light doesn’t get through and the ground is mostly bare.

This last picture scares me, as it shows a lot of the Himalayan blackberries that are trying to take over. If we didn’t mow and try to control the invasive blackberry mess, I imagine that in 10 years most of our fields would be covered in them and the grass would be gone.

This entry was posted in Forages, Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fields of grass

1. Rae says:

10 years… I’d be willing to bet they could take over in 2 or 3… 🙂

Great pics! I wish we had some open space, but we’re zoned forest, and aren’t allowed pasture.

Yeah, 2 to 3 years is possible too. The previous owners of our property didn’t do much to deal with the blackberries, which is why it’s in such a sad state.

Oregon’s zoning is certainly strange. When we first started looking for property we were surprised to learn that you can’t even build a house on much of the forest-zoned property for sale.

2. You need something to eat that grass and you need it baaaaaaaaaad.

Agreed! Unfortunately, that requires fences and just getting the tractor fixed will be a faster solution I think.

3. Joanne Rigutto says:

Two words – Scythe, Rake.

I cut tall grass all the time with my scythes. I have a very old one with a wooden snath (that shaft that the blade sits on), and a newer one with an aluminum snath. Of the two, I like the aluminum one better. Lots lighter and easier to use. The old one was given to me by my dad, the new one I got at Wilco. I used to cut hay in my smaller pens with the scythe. Best hay I’ve ever had.

I have an antique wood-handled scythe too. I’ve used it a bit. When we finally get some livestock that would benefit from hay, I plan to get a European scythe (which are more efficient to swing) and make some hay by hand. Until then, the tractor seems to be our best option for mulching a tall stand of grass like this back into the soil.

It looks so pretty! I can remember the first time we had our field cut for hay, it was so exciting to see bales instead of grass! I think you need a few goats, but that’s me LOL. Blackberries are evil. We have them all over, too. Thank dog for the bush-hog is all I can add.

Yeah, that would be exciting. I love the smell too. Our neighbor across the way has their front yard hayed every summer. I should find out who does such a tiny plot.

5. lynn says:

The grass is pretty. Get some sheep. But I know about the need for fences, they are on our list, too. Right now we are mowing down the small baby trees in our fields. Trees grow like weeds here. Its impossible to keep a cleared field. Most of our property is forest, but I like to have some fields beside the driveway.
    Your neighbor across the way hays their ‘front’ yard?! That just sounds funny!

You have trees that take over and we have blackberries. lol There is always something trying to take over fields. What type of trees do you have that grow so fast? If we ever get the rest of the fencing project done sheep are so in our future. 🙂

Yes we really do have neighbors that hay their front yard. I didn’t think they had any animals but maybe they have a barn out back I can’t see.

You. Need. Goats!

We. Need. Really-good-fences!! 🙂

We plan to get Shetland sheep if ever the fences again become a priority. They “supposedly” like blackberries, and there is plenty of grass if they don’t.

7. Michelle says:

Love your webiste/blog. Pigs love blackberry roots – maybe next time you do hogs – fence them in back there 😉 Thanks for sharing all your experiences, too. We have semi-parallel lives going on…. (wreck of a house where the previous folks left a ton of crap, no stove, and homesteading…..) Take care!

Our pigs didn’t discover their love of blackberry roots until the last month or so. They dug quite a few craters while excavating them. I hope we have all the perimeter fences in pplace by the time we have pigs again, so we can feel more comfortable giving them a larger area to roam in with only a single hot wire to hold them in place.

Wow, it does sound like we are in similar boats–right down to the abandoned cats that came with the property! Looks like you are making a lot of progress and have some great plans.