Three new windows and a roof

The three windows in the front of our house were installed today. Lee is happy because he felt like our living room turned into a depressing bat cave with the OSB over the window openings.

The garden shed was roofed with composite shingles. We used the same brand and color as the roofing for our house, but went with a cheaper grade.

The guys aren’t going to be back until next week so that gives us time to finish making 7 corbels, finish the 900 coats of spar varnish on the front door, and primer the underside of the new porch decking. That ought to keep us plenty busy. I should also probably try to corral some of the mess that seems to have exploded everywhere. There are more wood scraps, sawdust, tools, demolition trash, and stray nails in my living room than I know what to do with, let alone the front yard and around the garden shed.

This entry was posted in Renovation. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Three new windows and a roof

Sweet! Lookin’ really nice! The new windows are gorgeous…what’s the finish on them? You guys are really moving things along at a good clip. You’ll be done before you know it! I went and read the post on the corbels. The end result is very sharp, nicely done!

• Ann says:

Ahhh yes. I did my homework. Aluminum-clad Marvin windows. I answered my own question…I think?

Wow, I’m amazed if you figured that out from the picture. :) Yup, they are Marvin double hungs with aluminum clad exteriors and pine interiors. Marvin seem to make well-rated windows and their overall design is extremely close to our original windows.

• Ann says:

Nah, my observation skills aren’t superhuman…I went and read your old posts regarding the first windows you put in! Are they argon-filled?

Yeah, I thought you might have. :)

Yes, the windows are Argon filled. They are the LoE-366 series, with 3 layers of silver applied to the glass surfaces which blocks solar gain on sunny days (and bounce back interior heat in the winter). They are R3.3, which isn’t great for a high performance window but is pretty good for a historically accurate window of this style. If we were willing to sacrifice the double hung design and the muntins, there are some truly amazing options out there .. triple pane, krypton filled, tight-sealing casement windows.

Of course, on the other side of the coin, I’ve read that aluminum windows require more energy to build than they will ever save (compared to vinyl) and that the Argon will leak out over time and decrease the R value. Plus, you can update an old wood window with modern gaskets to achieve R1 and add storm windows for R2. Almost all of our original wood windows still worked after 74 years.

This sort of cost-benefit analysis can make my head spin. I do know that we like the windows and we are looking forward to getting the first one stained and trimmed some time this year.

• Ann says:

That is very interesting. Thanks for all the technical specs. It’s hard to know what to chose, when you look at costs and figure what’s appropriate for your climate. Our windows are argon-filled, and the 10-year guarantee is up next month. I don’t need to tell you that nearly every window has been, or needs to be replaced because the argon has leaked. Thankfully, it’s all under warranty, but a PITA nonetheless since we’re doing the work ourselves. Next time around we’re going with triple-glaze, no argon, but I’m sure by then there will be something new and improved on the menu.

That said and done, I think you’ve made a wonderful choice, and I am sure when all windows are installed you’ll notice a huge increase in comfort.

Can you have shed envy all the way in Indiana? I love the shed!!!

And, yes, having windows is a great thing, too.

Ah thanks! We are trying to model the shed after some of the details on our house. Hopefully it will all turn out the way we have envisioned it.

3. Ali says:

Shed and windows are both beautiful. The place is looking good!

It’s looking really good. I’d feel the same way about OSB over windows. Good style choices too.

Our living room is brighter again so it was a quick test in how much we didn’t want to live in a underground house. :)

The place is looking really nice! Beautiful windows, gorgeous roof, nice shed! You guys are moving right along. The cleanup will be well worth it!

6. Pingback: Front of our 1937 farm house is finished | Farm Folly