Unlucky

I went in to check on the goose before calling the wildlife rehabilitation center and all was not well. Our poor little goose didn’t make it.

🙁

This entry was posted in Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Unlucky

1. Ali says:

🙁 I hope the poor thing at least felt comforted while in your care….

It was such a sweet little goose. I don’t think that it was eating and I only saw it drink once. I tried to feed it but it wouldn’t open it’s beak. I felt very bad for it.

Awww…I’m so sorry to hear this. I was rooting for the little guy and was hoping for a feel-good ending. I second Ali’s words. At least he wasn’t and easy target for predators, but instead found comfort at your place. It’s nice you tried to help him and didn’t turn a blind eye to his suffering like so many would have done. Something good will come out of this, it always does. Karmic justice rules.

Yeah, I was rooting for it too and it really won my heart over. All I can say is this experience with the little gosling has us really wanting a flock of geese next year. Even Lee thought it was ridiculously cute. 🙂

I’m sorry to hear that. Every time we have a loss around here, it causes me to ponder things.

After it died I was talking with Lee about what happened. I don’t think it was eating so even though it was in our care I guess you could say our ‘saving’ it made it have a long slow death. If we had put it down or let nature take it’s course it would have died that first night from cold. But you never know these things because there was that possibility it could have pulled through with some care. Sometimes you just don’t know what the right decision is.

4. Sorry about your goose. It’s always sad when something in your care dies, even if it was injured, and even if it was in your care only briefly. Had it been left in the wild, it probably would have been eaten – you gave it a peaceful death.

5. poor little dude. JUst catching up on your posts and I started at the bottom a read about him..kept thinking ‘I hope he makes it’. SUch is life I guess..if all animals survived we might all have flocks of t-rexes…the final total is $1.6o per pounf of meat..we could have cut the cost down quite a bit but there were no raptors for the t-rex to eat so we had to supplement the meals with eggs and a whole cow a day. After it was all said and done we ended up with 10000lbs of meat. Yes..its a good things that not everything lives..you would need a bigger house for the 40 freezers you would need for all that meat. I digress..my deepest condolences.

Yes, I’m definitely a fan of extinction in that sense. Anyone who’s spent time reading about species from the Jurassic period (T-Rex) or the Devonian period (8 foot scorpions) has to be a fan. 🙂 But if there were T-Rex’s today (and they weren’t eating us first) would we really want to eat them? The human diet contains very few predator species as meat sources because they tend to carry more pathogens. Remember in Crichton’s Lost World when it turns out that most of the dinosaurs have a prion disease?

And then there would be the cost .. if you think beef is expensive, imagine feeding beef to another animal so you have to pay the 6:1 calorie loss rate again. T-Rex burgers .. $25 a pound …

Here’s to more geese one day in the future!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂