What to do with an injured duck?

**Update: I found out it was a goose instead of a duck**

I was out hanging laundry, feeling proud of myself for getting three loads done today, when someone pulled up. As I walk over to see what they wanted, a lady got out of the truck cradling an inverted hard hat.

“We were visiting B & C, and they said you might know what do with this. It’s injured. We found it wandering around.”

I looked in the hard hat and saw a duck with a slice in its head.

I could sense their hopefulness that I would take the injured duck off their hands.

Meanwhile, I’m thinking, “Oh boy, what do I do with an injured duck”. I’ve never had a duck before. B & C are an older couple who live three houses down. Lee and I are the only ones on our street that have chickens. Almost everyone else is retired, with manicured yards straight out of a fertilizer ad. Definitely not the sort of houses that accept stray waterfowl. To make matters worse, I know this is a wild duck because B & C live on the river side of the street.

“Sure,” I say as I picked up the soft squishy duck body. It cuddles into my hand and doesn’t seem to realize there is a chunk missing out of it’s head. They thank me profusely and make their escape before I can change my mind–their guilt assuaged and their good deed done for the day.

I walk into the house holding the duck.

“Um, Lee, we have a duck. Or half a duck, rather.” I tell him the story I was told and he starts muttering about “darn suburbanites” and they “should have just let nature take its course” … and “where in the world are we going to put a duck.” He goes out looking for a cardboard box to put the poor fuzzy ball in while still muttering. The thing is, when someone brings you an injured animal you can’t say no without looking like a heartless sod. And when it’s a baby that darn nurturing instinct takes over. Lee sends me off to the farm store for some duck feed, a heat lamp, and some wood shavings.

Yeah, so just call us Farm Folly: Home For Invalid Animals.

So what in the world do you do with a wild duck? I was thinking about calling it Lucky if it survives. Or Unlucky if it doesn’t. ‘Brain Damage Duck’ is a bit of a mouthful, but B.D.D. or Bud for short could work. Hmm … Halfwit?

Even with half a head, the silly little duck is sooooo cute. I’ve spent about 30 minutes holding it, and it’s very sweet and cuddly. Why are we raising chickens?

This entry was posted in Livestock, Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What to do with an injured duck?

Awww, I love the duck!!! I hope he lives!!!

Heh heh, man, I sympathize with you guys. Got to love it when people make things your problem, out of the goodness of their hearts. ­čÖé

Hopefully, Bud grows up to be a decent weeder in the garden. Apparently ducks don’t scratch like chickens do, so they don’t damage crops nearly as much.

I’ve heard that about ducks before and I got kinda excited about trying it out in my garden. We almost got ducks this year but then I changed my mind last minute. lol

We found a wildlife rehabilitation place we are going to call tomorrow because it’s illegal to keep wildlife here. We shall see what happens.

Awww…poor BDD. How’s he doing? I’m rooting for the little guy! We have an avian rehabilitation center not too far away – that’s what we do with injured birds. The easy way out, so to speak. Hope your little duckie heals soon.

BDD is still barely gimping around. I took it out for an outing earlier and it tried to eat some grass with seeds on it. Now that I have found out it’s a goose I might have to change it’s initials to BDG. We found an avian place that we are going to call tomorrow.

4. molly says:

its really cute but its a goose…..but still cute

5. Rae says:

Poor little baby! That head gash is how one of our chicks looked after our dog went at them. Poor thing is really young. Hope it makes it.

6. Angie says:

How are things going with the little fellow? I can use any advice you might have on caring for the injured cutie. I volunteer at a local school, and the students hatch ducks each year. I stopped by the enclosure this morning and something had gotten in and killed all but one. which is injured. It has a nasty gash on the back of its neck and seems to be in shock (clear eyes, moving all body parts, but rather floppily). It’s resting in my garage right now, and it will eat and drink. Since it’s 4th of July, everyone I know who would know what to do is out of town. A fellow with the Dept of Fish and Wildlife said to keep it calm, clean and bandage the wound and see what happens. Any thoughts? I was thinking of giving it some baby tylenol but I’m not sure. I went with neosporin that has pain reliever in it, applied after I cleaned the wound.

Thanks! Angie

The little guy didn’t make it. I really have no idea as my knowledge on ducks is very small. I think you are ahead of us in that you have actually gotten your duck to eat and drink. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

• Angie says:

Unfortunately, our little lady didn’t make it through the night. 8-(

Thanks for taking the time to respond.