Old toy safe

Last month I was cleaning out the shack shed some more. I came upon an antique toy safe that we had stored in the shed three years ago when we were doing the major cleanup after we bought our house.

The below picture is what most of our place looked like when we bought it. Lots of trash with a few tiny treasures (if you could even call it that).

The safe didn’t fair well as the leaking shed roof rotted the wood over the years. As I picked it up my fingers smashed through the walls of it. Oh well. We couldn’t open it before and now it was wide open. Fortunately, the mechanism was made of brass and was undamaged. We managed to figure out the lock combination so I think maybe down the road when we are feeling bored and have nothing to do, we might just rebuild the box.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Old toy safe

1. Bruce king says:

It’s an old time post office box that they sold as a piggy bank 15 or 20 years ago. The mechanism is older than that though; probably 50s or 60s. Since you can see the back you can figure out the combination to open it.

I used to have one of those. They’re pretty cool.

Wow, thanks for the ID! Now that you mention it, I can definitely see it as a P.O. box. When we were looking at it I remember asking Robin, “Why would they put a window on a piggy bank.” Yeah, we figured out the combination by watching the cams on the back. It looks like it would be pretty easy to pull a couple pins and change the combination.

2. Ali says:

For many many years I collected my families mail in a nearly identical box. How cool! I’d love to have one.

It’s definitely one of the few highlights in our property cleanup. When we first moved here I remember Robin telling me that our tiny local post office had really neat old-fashioned looking P.O. boxes. Now we want to go to the post office to see if they are of the same style as this one.

When we tell people that our house was built in 1937 we always get asked, “Wow, are there lots of neat old things in it?”

Now our reply can be, “Yeah, just one!” :)

I love stuff like that! Nothing like having a mystery of sorts solved. You learn something new every day. My wheels are turning as to how you could integrate that into your house.

Well if you come up with something, feel free to share it. I have a number of unique details planned for our house, and I’m always looking for new ideas.

4. Sebastian says:

I was going to ID that for you as a post office box, but see someone already did. There are some sellers on Etsy who make cool banks out of them: Boxes ‘n More