Pickled cauliflower and zucchini relish

Every gardener tends to get a few really big overlooked zucchinis in their garden. If you are a normal person and have an oven, then zucchini bread is a good use for these monsters. Since I don’t have an oven yet, I tried making dried zucchini chips last year, but most of them turned out quite bad. Like eating cardboard bad. This year I decided to make zucchini relish with an over sized veggie. I used a recipe from The Joy of Pickling.

As I was already in the kitchen making relish, I decided to try another recipe from the pickling book. I had spare cauliflower in the garden so of course I had to try my hand at making some pickled cauliflower.

I love recipes that use the raw pack method. It doesn’t even seem like canning because there is so little fuss.

When all was said and done I had 3 pints of zucchini relish and 4 pints of pickled cauliflower.

I also had a mess. Why is it even small canning jobs seems to make big kitchen messes? 53 loads of hand-washed dishes later, I called it a day.

This entry was posted in Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Pickled cauliflower and zucchini relish

1. Mindy says:

I love the idea of adding cauliflower! We do dill zucchini relish every year to use up the monsters. Our recipe is at http://brookshobbyfarm.blogspot.com/p/zucchini-recpies.html if you are interested. Another suggestion, that my co-worker told me about, is to store dried zucchini in baggies in the freezer and then add to soup in the winder. They reconstitute. I’m going to give it a go this year.

I was very excited when I saw a recipe for zucchini relish as I didn’t know you could use it for that. I think that my mom always did cucumber relish instead.

We do have our dried zucchini chips in the freezer. Soups is about the only thing we can do with them. I was disappointed they didn’t turn out better because I was hoping for a tasty alternative to potato chips.

Yummy. Everything looks great! If you want to try a new recipe, this is my old stand-by and comes approved by all:
    People can’t even believe it’s zucchini relish, and I get requests for it every summer.
    Cold-pack cauliflower is the way to go, you are right, it doesn’t even feel like canning, it’s so simple!
    Robin – buy thee a mandoline – I recently bought a Benriner and I can’t recommend it enough. $25 from Amazon – you Americans are so lucky!

I will try that out next year. The three pints of relish I made is probably more then I will eat this year.

That mandoline is going into my amazon cart!! It sure would have made the pepper slicing I did today go much faster.

• Ann says:

You will love the Benriner. I bought the smaller one – I paid something like $45 for it, a total rip, but I had a gift certificate and I *always* have wanted one so that’s how I justified it. I cannot tell you HOW fast I sliced up 12 cups of cukes, 2 cups of onions and 2 cups of peppers. Waaay faster than I can wash out my food processor, that’s for sure! I guarantee you will love it!

Give the Canadian Living zucchini relish recipe a try next year. If I can find someone with a bumper crop of zukes I’ll make some for sure this year. Everyone wanted another jar! (On a side note, I’ve never made a Canadian Living preserve recipe that didn’t work out!)

I love hearing reports on recipes of friends wanting another jar. If that many people like it then it has to be a keeper recipe. ­čÖé We keep eating our few left over cukes fresh as our plants are croaking.

3. Pingback: Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage | Farm Folly