Candied jalapeños

My love affair with candied jalapeños began last year. I first wrote about it here and ended up making a second batch. Since last summer I’ve had lingering thoughts about those delicious, amazing, fantastical peppers and waited for my upcoming garden harvest.

I had a new recipe I was considering trying, but once Lee heard that he begged for me to make candied jalapeños instead. This is from a guy who doesn’t like spicy food.

I went to the garden and picked over my pepper plants (note to self: plant three times as many peppers next year). Then I snapped on my rubber gloves and went to work slicing, and mixing, and stirring, and…well you know, all those things you do when you can.

The recipe for these awesome, use-on-everything-you-can-think-of peppers, is found here. You are going to want to make a batch. Then you won’t want to share. You’ll find yourself hogging the jar, pretending you can’t hear the pleas for more candied peppers from those around you.

This entry was posted in Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Candied jalapeños

1. those sound amazing! I don’t think I have the heat to be able to grow these though..bummer!

Maybe with a greenhouse? Even in our climate, peppers and tomatoes do much better with a greenhouse and eggplants require a greenhouse to mature. Our second batch of cowboy candy last year was made with store bought jalapeños.

Those look awesome! Now where am I going to find 3 lbs of jalapeños? I am definitely putting those on my list of things to can. Those little red peppers in with the jalapeños, are they Scotch bonnets?

• Ann says:

Okay, it is so pathetic that I am replying to myself, but I’ve just gone out and bought 3 pounds of jalapeños. I soooo have to try these that the 2 week mellowing period is going to be impossible to wait for.

I had to look up Scotch bonnets. Ouch! Nope. I don’t think we grew anything like that. The red peppers were on one plant, very tiny, and we apparently don’t have the name. It was a hectic gardening season …

Glad to hear you are giving them a try. I hope you like them as much as we do! We are already talking about how many more pepper plants we are going to have to grow next year, because our favorite things to preserve (salsa, cowboy candy) all require huge quantities of peppers.

When you make up the recipe, a few won’t fit in the jar so you get to try those early. We usually cheat after a week and open a jar, but they are a little better with age.

• Ann says:

Well. I had no doubts. I cracked open my first jar last night, and they were spectacular! WOW! I ate a quarter of the jar in one sitting, literally right off the fork without any other food intervention. (I have issues with restraint like that!)

Awesome. Just awesome. I’m making more for Christmas gifts.

Thanks for passing along that winning recipe, it’s always appreciated!

I am so happy that you liked them!! I just got back from the farm store with tomatoes galore and a 10 lb box of jalapeños. I see more of these spicy treats in our future. hehe Well, I suppose I need to stop goofing off and start some salsa canning…

Getting caught up on reading your posts. Everything is looking so good! Great progress on the house, the garden looks fantastic, and so many delicious looking things being put by. Can’t say I’ve ever tried candied jalapenos. Are they really that good?

Thank you. I love the candied jalapenos but I probably wouldn’t have made them if not for two blogs going on about how much they LOVED them. Since they were so enthusiastic I decided to try them and Lee was a skeptic. lol He is trying to get me to make another batch for the year as he is in love with them just as much as me. :)