Canning day

It’s been one of those days. Salsa, tomato sauce, and Italian tomato sauce were today’s projects. By the way, if anyone has a salsa recipe that they love, let me know! I’ve got more tomatoes that need canned, and we love salsa!

This entry was posted in Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Canning day

1. D says:

You might find these salsa recipes from the Whipstone Farm blog interesting.

My, you have been busy! Those are lots of jars! I make a version of salsa with chipotle peppers, providing you like chipotles, of course:

I don’t know if you can find commercial salsa spices in your neck of the woods, but you probably have your favorite spice mix ratio down by now. I happened to buy the Bernardin mix the recipe mentions, simply because it’s conveniently located right beside the mason jars at Canadian Tire, and also because it happens to make great salsa! I’ve made every permutation the brochure in the box mentions, plain tomato, tomato and green pepper, and tomato and corn salsa. They’re all great!

I’ve never used a spice mix before or heard of Bernardin. I will have to look for that in the store. I’ve only been canning for three years now so I don’t have a lot of favorite recipes yet. I mostly use recipes from my three canning books.

• Ann says:

Hi again Robin, I just came across this bookmark:

While I haven’t tried any of their recipes, I had bookmarked the site for their tomato jam recipe which can be found on the recipe index.

Hope you’re making your way through you masses of tomatoes!

I’m taking a break from canning today as I was getting heartily sick of tomatoes. Thanks for the link. I want to try one of those recipes.

3. Ali says:

Looks good! I’ve been canning up a storm, too. I like Annie’s Salsa, which you can find on Garden Web’s Harvest Forum. I can’t recommend that forum enough, lots of knowledgeable and friendly people with a vast array of excellent recipes. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg082200459418.html

ps. try roasting some tomatoes for sauce, we love the flavor.

Thanks Ali. I think I am going to give that recipe a try tomorrow. I love new recipes. I would love to try the roasting thing, but I’m not sure how to pull that off without an oven.

• Ali says:

Yikes, I forgot the whole oven issue! I can’t believe how productive you are with your kitchen as it is!

I don’t feel very productive as cooking on a hot plate really puts a kink in wanting to cook in the kitchen. For canning I have to use a propane burner outside. Thankfully, Lee works from home so he can just carry the canner inside every time a load finishes.

I am super excited as are thinking about getting a convection toaster oven. Why it didn’t occur to us to get one sooner I don’t know (probably because we don’t know anyone who has one). The thought of being able to use an oven after three years is beyond exciting. I won’t have to discount most the recipes I find because of not having an oven.

Thanks for the recipe. I made a batch up today.

We just use the boring zesty salsa recipe in the canner cookbook, taking liberties based on how many peppers or onions we have (keeping ratio to tomatoes the same).

However, when we crack a jar open, we mix with refried beans and I had a small mountain of jalepenos to my portion…

I’ve made quite a few spicy batches already as Lee really likes that one. I love your blender trick and use it for that recipe. ­čÖé

What pretty jars. My grandmother used to call all her canned veggies and fruit her “jewels” because they were so colorful and pretty.