Three weeks ago I excitedly gathered dill, cucumbers, and a couple of hot peppers from my garden in order to make some fermented pickles. I wanted to make some Lower East Side Full-Sour Dills (based on a recipe from page 45 of The Joy of Pickling) that supposedly New Yorkers love. We like the fermented pickles you can occasionally find at the store, so we had high hopes for these.
I layered the veggies and spices in the crock.
I added the weights and the brine and thought it all smelled quite divine.
I filled the water seal in the crock and then put a two week timer in my head for when they should be done.
This is where everything goes dreadfully wrong. Somehow my head decided that the deadline was permanently two weeks away. I realized with dawning horror that I was three weeks into this forgotten project on the counter, so I tentatively opened the crock and took out a pickle for a taste test. It wasn’t awful but it didn’t taste the best either. The mold floating on the surface was rather disconcerting too. With a glum face I decided to toss the pickles and try again later. Next time, I will write the estimated finish time on my calendar. And I’ll check on them more often. And I’ll try not to make fermented veggies during a heat wave (which didn’t help matters either).