Sunflower overload

This spring I ordered a sunflower collection from Seed Savors Exchange. I love sunflowers! They make me smile ridiculously big every time I pass by them in the garden. Yeah, they are a little silly and mostly useless (unless you plant an edible variety), but who cares?

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Sunflower overload

1. Ali says:

How can there ever be an overload of sunflowers? I love them too.

2. ..very pretty! We tried to grow some sunflowers this year but the batch did not take..too wet in the spring I think. Next year!

Once you get them to start, we’ve always found sunflowers pretty easy to grow. They don’t seem to have a lot of insect pests, and they emit a natural herbicide which greatly reduces the weeds that grow around them. If all vegetable plants did that, gardening would be a cinch!

3. Rae says:

I meant to plant a bunch of sunflowers this year, even bought a mess of seeds, but the weather was so crummy that I never got around to it. I LOVE sunflowers! Planning on having lots of them at my wedding. So many great color variations!

Ours were planted rather late (like everything else), so we were surprised they did as well as they did. Before Robin got this sampler I didn’t realize that sunflowers came in such huge variety!

4. Miss B says:

Useless? WE don’t think so!

5. farmer says:

So glad I found your blog,I’m quite enjoying it!
    Beautiful pics!

Robin, they are beautiful! We have a sunflower farm nearby, they process them to make oil. The fields are so gorgeous when the flowers are in full bloom they defy description.

You can never have too many sunflowers! The teddy-bears are my favorites.

Wow, that has to be so beautiful. I remember a road trip I was on once where we drove by sunflower fields. They were just gorgeous.

I like the Teddy Bears one too. They remind me of googly eyes. It’s the first time I’ve grown that variety before. At first I thought I had stunted sunflowers until I realized they were supposed to be short. Hehe.

7. Scott says:

I just started keeping bees and I’m excited to see honey bees on your sunflowers. Do you have a beekeeper near by or would they be wild honey bees?

I’m pretty sure these are wild honey bees. We tried to capture a swarm last year but lost the queen, so our hive box has been sitting empty I don’t know of any other hive boxes within a mile or so of our house. (They are easy to miss though.)

8. Tipper says:

I love sunflowers as well, and they’re definitely not useless. Look at all of those pollinators you’re attracting! 🙂

I adore sunflowers! My maternal grandfather and I used to have contests each summer to see who could grow the tallest sunflowers. Since we both had access to barns and fields of manure, some of those plants got very tall. I have a picture somewhere of he and I standing next to a sunflower that must have been 12 foot tall – it was twice as tall as Pappy and he was a 6-footer! Happy memories! I love all the colors of yours!

I didn’t get any 12 foot sunflowers this year. I would have planted some taller ones if I hadn’t run out of space. Coming back from the feed store this week I drove past a field of dying sunflowers. I was so disappointed as I would have loved to see the field in brilliant bloom. Who would win in your contests?