I can bake!

The title of this post may seem a little silly, until you realize I don’t have an oven. When we moved into our house three years ago, the first thing we did was cut the electric and gut most of the house. The kitchen will probably be the last thing that we get around to rewiring and renovating. For three years I have been cooking on a hot plate, a wood stove, or a BBQ grill. You wouldn’t believe how much this limits your options.

Last week Lee got me a convection toaster oven–basically a miniature oven. We haven’t been so excited about a small appliance in years! Finally, baking was an option for me again.

The first thing I did was make a cherry pie from scratch. Yup, that is one happy pie!

After so many years of not having an oven I had forgotten all the things I used to make. Suddenly, I’m realizing I can bake bread, buy a frozen pizza, make a quiche, whip up some muffins, bake some biscuits, make a lasagna, broil fish, roast a small chicken, etc. The possibilities are endless.

I’m so happy I can bake again. It’s such a small thing but it’s amazing how much you miss it when it’s gone.

This entry was posted in Skillset. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to I can bake!

1. ..yeah…we use our cookstove for baking which means we don’t bake for 6 months of the year..I know what you are saying..we have no fridge or stove..so we use the solar oven, BBQ and a coleman stove..Winter is much easier for cooking and baking but it is hard to turn the oven off when you are done.

And for the record you can still use the BBQ to bake/cook some things. A couple of months ago I did a frozen pizza on there and it turned out so good I have been trying more and more..but mostly processed foods.

It is amazing how good it feels to have things that everybody else has..when I do get my fridge hooked up I am going to invite my friends over and impress them will all my cool stuff!..cool stuff..fridge. Congrats on popping your stove cherry with a hot cherry pie!..the cherry pie seemed to enjoy itself according to the smile on its face! hehe

We have a coleman stove too, but I’ve never been very successful with it. It produced a couple incorrectly baked pies and a few other items. Our woodstove has a hard time getting it up to temperature. I’ve also tried frozen pizza on the BBQ grill, but we burned one and didn’t try again. Mostly we had just given up on anything that required baking.

The pie was very happy until we started cutting it up for desert. Then we were happy! To be honest, it’s a very small oven, but I tell Robin size doesn’t matter … as long as you can bake a 13″ pizza!

2. Buttons says:

I am so impressed with your skills without an oven. I have been there while we were trying to build our new home while still living in one room of the original rundown farmhouse. B

Aw thanks. Its been a long three years. I love to bake so having an oven again is the most exciting thing ever!! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who has been without an oven at some time. 🙂

I don’t know how you do it, Robin! You’re one tough woman! I complain about the rustic house in which I live, that it’s not modern like all my previous houses, but you’ve dealt with so many more inconviences than I have. But your place will be so nice when you’re done! When I get irritated about the house, I should think of what you’ve dealt with! You deserve that toaster oven, that’s for sure! And you deserve that happy cherry pie! Yeah! 🙂 Have a piece for me! And hopefully many more desserts are in yours and Lee’s near future!

I’m so excited to be able to bake again. Looking at your cupcakes you make always has me drooling. 🙂 I’m not really all that tough as I’m a good natured complainer (as Lee would tell you and I’m well aware of it). Not having an oven has probably made Lee and I eat out more than normal people. Maybe having an oven will help us to lose more weight as long as I can keep my goody baking down. 🙂

Yaaayyy! I don’t know how you’ve made it so far without an oven. It will be so nice to throw a frozen pizza or lasagne in the convection oven. And don’t forget the Shake ‘n Bake – wheeeeee!

Your pie looks delish! Nothing like a happy pie! I’d be starry-eyed too!

I hate to admit this but we went crazy at the grocery stores buying frozen pizzas. Then we started remembering that most of the frozen pizzas don’t really taste all that brilliant. lol. Oh well, just having some items around that you can cook quick when you feel beat will be amazing.

That cherry pie got made so late that it was supposed to be the moon and stars on it. But then I realized it just looked like a groovy happy smiley face. I’ve made another pie since then. I couldn’t help myself. I’m a little afraid that my new baking capacity is going to make Lee and I hugely fat as I won’t be able to control my cooking urges. hehe

• Ann says:

Nah, don’t worry, the novelty will wear off – hopefully! And given your hectic renovation schedule (right, Lee?) you need those frozen pizzas to fall back on LOL! Like you, we got into the nasty habit of running out for a bite to eat during heavy-duty renovation days. Once in a while is OK – but when it gets to be too often, watch out, hips!

Your moon and stars were not lost on me, but it was too cute to not think of the stars as eyes!

Ah, well, there goes the diet, eh? 😉

6. Rae says:

We have an oven, but I still can’t bake. 🙂 Soups, stews, pasta, roasts… Those I can do. Baking, though, I leave to the fiancée. Love the cherry pie smiley face!

I have a tendency to overcook meat and don’t even get me started on seafood. lol. Lee is much better at cooking meat then me and he has patience for chopping things small. I hate anything that requires copious amounts of dicing and get lazy. 🙂