Last minute painting frenzy

This past May we hired out some work on our house. The original estimate was that it would take about one week to finish. Well, October rolled around and the project still wasn’t finished. Lee and I have been rather unhappy, to say the least. Finally, we hired a different contractor to come in and shoot the second coat of paint on everything. He bid the job on Monday and completed it on Tuesday. Since then, we’ve been in a frenzy to finish up all the trim painting and porch sealing before the rains start for good. If all goes well, I should have the second coat of paint on all the trim and corbels by Saturday.

This entry was posted in Renovation. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Last minute painting frenzy

1. I like the color..is that as dangerous as it looks? You hired out a guy in May…to paint the house and it still was not done..shocking…really shocking. Whenever I meet with a contractor I set a time and tell them if they are not there on time they will not get the work cause if they cannot show up for the initial meeting on time it is not a good omen for the rest of the work..might be a reason I end up doing most jobs myself! hehe. Shocking.

No, not quite. We hired him in May to re-side the front the house, replace the porch deck, and build the garden shed. That was supposed to take about a week. Obviously, most of it got done eventually, but the whole processes was small bursts of activity followed by everything just sitting there.

I was very happy with the new painters. We found them on Google and they had a lot of positive reviews. We will probably hire them to do the rest of the house painting since we had a good experience with them this first time. I’m a big fan of do-it-yourself too (obviously), but I was under the (mistaken) impression that hiring out the siding and shed work would get it all done substantially faster than we could. We expected to have a usable garden shed by July to bring some order to the rest of the place over the summer.

Robin, are you *sure* you’re OK walking around with bare feet? Makes me cringe, but then again, I’m up on my tetanus shots, having impaled my foot on a nail years ago. Just seeing you up there in bare feet give me the willies.

I love the color of the siding; it’s very harmonious. So did the garden shed finally get finished? And did the table saw finally get moved? LOL…

It’s a sad state of affairs that your contractors and hand-workers are as phlegmatic as ours – we were once left in a lurch with a half-done roof. The only redeeming thing was that we still owed the contractor $1K for a portion of what they had done. I guess they figured it was easier to cop out than to finish the job and get paid.

I’m glad you’re happy with your new painters, so things are coming along admirably. Hope the weather cooperates with your plans!

I have to admit I couldn’t think of a reason we’d need a tetanus shot on the roof, but then I was up there last week holding a step ladder for Robin and I found a rusty framing nail. I have no idea why there was a nail lying up there. Robin and I both have current tetanus shots though, mine quite recent.

Computers don’t accurately reproduce colors, but I do like the color a lot as well. It reminds me of a light wood tone. Sadly, the table saw is still in the living room, but it may be moving in a day or two. We are waiting on some shelves I need to finish out in the shed.

Wow, I can’t imagine someone walking away from a half-done project like, especially a roof. There appears to be an endless array of contractor horror stories. Our complaints of “took too long” seem minor by comparison.

At least you don’t have to worry about stepping in dog poo up there.

I do a lot of things barefoot that I shouldn’t (not to imply that YOU shouldn’t be barefoot while painting on a roof) if only because of the risk of boards falling on my toes, but I do them anyway. One year–while still in Mississippi, I decided to go barefoot year-round, but when my toes got so cold that they felt like they were going to break off, I gave up.

I’m so glad you guys are happy with your new painter.

I’m a big fan of barefoot, and even more so since I’ve started following research on foot biomechanics which argues that most shoes are actually harmful to your feet. Of course, the harm of a shoe pales in comparison to the harm of dropping a splitting maul on your foot … so I end up wearing boots more often than I like.

Lol, I am laughing over the last comment about walking barefoot. I love being barefoot in the summer, but right now it’s bitter cold (ok, not freezing, maybe in the 50’s) outside, and there’s no way I can imagine going barefoot. So shoes are harmful, huh? interesting!

I actually pulled out my wool lined house shoes because it’s too cold here to wear my flip flops around. Lee is still wearing his flip flops through the wet grass and everything. Brrrr.