Craftsman garden shed

The garden shed is finally finished! Almost. We finished building the last shelving unit in it this past week. It’s too cold and rainy to paint, so the corbels will have to wait until next year to be painted dark brown like the ones on the house. Other tasks we have postponed include grading the dirt around the building, selecting a material to block weeds under the tractor port, and possibly installing some French drains.

The shed door was cut from a thick sheet of concrete form plywood. Cedar trim was then applied to dress it up in the style of a traditional carriage door. We painted it green because that is Lee’s favorite color.

After much deliberation, we selected strap hinges from Pacific Gate Works. We wanted something that would impart a sense of age and tie this new shed to our old house. The hinges really are massive, with thick steel straps and cast iron pivots.

The latch is a twisted ring latch. It arrived with a glossy black finish, so Lee resprayed it in a matte to better match the strap hinges. He also primed and painted the stainless hasp and lock which secures the door. The latch turned out really well, but the paint on the hasp easily chips off.

Lee built the shelving units really quickly based on ideas from a youtube video. The side shelves are two feet deep, so we added crossbars to each level to prevent sagging. We also built shelves across the back (not pictured) which meet the side shelves. The rear shelves are only 16 inches deep and more closely spaced so that one extra shelf fits in the same vertical space.

There’s no picture of the final shelving layout. Immediately after we finished the shelves we started filling them with items that have been clogging up our house projects for years. In the long term, it will be a “garden shed” but in the short term it’s a “bringing some order to our life shed!”

This entry was posted in Farm Structures, Renovation. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Craftsman garden shed

1. I really love the hinges and latch you chose. And the green door is fantastic.

Thank you. Lee spent an age trying to figure out what hinges and latch we should put on the door. There are too many options. 🙂

What a handy and beautiful building. I’m with Lee – green is my favorite color, too.

I like green too but I don’t think I have a favorite color. I have a feeling we may paint Lee’s office (when it gets finished) green again. 🙂

Fantastic! Job well done. That was a good YouTube video – I love how the ladder does a “happy” dance LOL. I’m sure your tools are going to be doing happy dances in the new shed, too. Not to mention you doing a happy dance in the house with all the room you’ll be able to free up.

It’s sooo fulfilling when projects turn out beautifully. Love everything about it – the door, the hinges, the colors, everything.

There’s quite a few shelving how-to videos on YouTube, but I liked that one because it seemed simple and compact and could be built with full length materials. Our wide shelves are half a sheet of plywood and the narrow shelves are a third of a sheet. The front support structure was built by clamping the horizontals onto the rear supports and then just screwing on the uprights.

We are really happy with how it all came together. We drew up a number of plans when we were considering the original roof profile and door dimensions. I also spent way too much time obsessing over the spacing of the horizontal “rails” of the door. Still there’s always this concern that when the project is all done you’ll realize you overlooked something important and it will forever look wonky. 🙂

4. Ali says:

Wow, that is gorgeous. I love that green, and the hardware looks great. I bet you are so glad to have some storage space!

I can’t even begin to tell you how happy we are to finally have some storage space. Not having any storage areas in our house built yet makes normal everyday items an overwhelming challenge.

5. ..I never saw the youtube video but it will not stop me from stealing that idea for shelves!! which reminds me, I still need to build that chicken feeder that you showed me how to build! I want to live in your shed..scheduled for 30cm of snow tomorrow. boourns!

I like how the shelves look, with the shelf surface extending a bit past the horizontal supports. They went together really fast. The most time consume part was laying out and cutting the notches in the shelf material for the uprights. I found that a plunge cut with a circular saw worked well for the the center notch. The rest I cut with a hand saw.

Wow, that’s a lot of snow! Oregon would be crippled for weeks if that happened here.

I’m so impressed by your attention to detail. The shed looks great.

What is concrete form plywood?

Thanks! Concrete form plywood is heavy 1.25″ thick plywood used to make concrete forms for poured walls. It’s designed to handle moisture and be reused many times. It’s not cheap (around $100 a sheet at the moment), but it’s dimensionally stable and cheaper than most other options for doors.

7. I was going to say I’d like to live in your shed, but now that I know I have to fight Eagergridlessbeaver for it, I figure I’ll back down.

I do, however, feel your joy at being able to take all the stuff that was cluttering up your other buildings and putting them in your lovely new shed. And it is lovely.

I have a book on small houses which I was interested in before we bought this property. There are a lot of people who live quite happily in spaces no larger than this shed. It seems hard to believe, given that the average American home is 2500+ square feet. Of course, a proper small house would have things like insulation and walls–things our house mostly lacks as well at the moment. Hmm, perhaps we should move into the shed too …

The shed has greatly reduced the clutter indoors and has been a boost for our happiness. I’m glad it turned out so well, but it kind of puts the rest of the structures on our property to shame.

8. Buck says:

What a great shed. I am so impressed by your building ability. Very nicely done.

Thanks! I can’t really take credit for most of the work on this building though since we hired it out. We just drew up the plans, picked out materials, and handled some of the detail work such as corbel construction.

9. Jenni says:

I love the shed! Can you tell me the color of green the door is? We are looking for a green to paint our chicken coop door and this is the perfect shade!

Thanks!

The color is called “Totally Cool”. It’s by Forrest Paint Company of Eugene, OR. Their color code for it is “X0787”. I’m not sure how much help that will be if you don’t live around here. The other problem is of course that colors don’t really convey correctly over computer monitors…

10. Chris says:

is that O-latch 2 sided? Can you open and close the door from inside & out?

Yes, there’s a matching ring on the inside–a fact I sometimes forget for a second or two when the wind unexpectedly blows the door shut with me inside.