Nine hens down

I listed our 9 old hens on craigslist. These were the first hens we got after moving into our place so I feel a bit sad about it. Their new owners are going to use them for layers and butcher the non-layers. We didn’t have room for them in our freezer and they have been going through a lot of feed without much laying. It was time.

Thanks for the good times and all the eggs ladies.

This entry was posted in Livestock. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Nine hens down

So, are you getting ready to get new chicks? What kind are you getting this year?

We still have 12 chickens from last year’s flock: 4 Araucanas (one a rooster), 1 Cochin, and the 7 Lakenvelders. Robin is planning to sell a few of the Lakenvelders hens as layers in the next month or two (they are just starting to lay again). I expect we will only get new chicks this spring if she sells quite a few of those Lakenvelders. (We haven’t decided on breeds yet.)

Awwww…they’re so pretty, they have such lovely markings. I think I’m not cut out for chickens. They’d all become my pets.

I’m sure you’re sad to see them go…me too.

If you don’t mind less eggs then its ok to keep your chickens as pets. I was sad to see them go as they were all pretty sweet hens. Everyone except Jake. She was a really annoying spastic hen.

3. lyssa says:

I’ve been through the same thing…it’s a little hard, but I don’t have space for a bunch of non-egg-laying freeloaders! Right now we have a pretty young flock, mostly in their first year of laying, but there are a few who will be on there way out in the next year or two.

I didn’t have a problem dispatching our roosters. Probably because they were so ding dong annoying. I wont have a problem getting rid of the Lakenvelders as I was never that attached to them. I think I was slightly more worried about someone getting the hens and mistreating them. I didn’t care if they were butchered or kept as pets otherwise. When I listed them I got a whole 3 responses and made 10 dollars off the 9 hens. Almost the cost of a bag of feed.

4. Pingback: Chickens on the move | Farm Folly