A couple weeks ago I was glumly staring at the filthy walls in our kitchen. We don’t want to put much effort and time into fixing up the kitchen since the whole thing will be gutted in a couple more years. Still, living with the previous tenant’s splattered stains and wall grime for the past 3 1/2 years has been kind of a downer. There is also a desperate shortage of storage in the kitchen.
Suddenly I had a burst of inspiration: cover up the grim with some cheap paint and repurpose some of the unused space with more storage. I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner. The cheap paint turned out to be a gallon of mis-mixed green paint from the hardware store. For the cheap storage, Ikea came to the rescue.
Since there aren’t any working outlets in the kitchen, the oven had turned into a flat surface for food storage and a box for my cast iron pots. This wasn’t a really good use for the space. We took out the oven, ripped out the tape they had again used to ineffectually stop mice, installed a thin piece of wood to solve any mice problems, caulked, and painted it all. The four baskets in the Ikea cabinet were required so our dogs couldn’t get into anything. I’m not sure what to do with all this new space as it is so exciting.
Our house isn’t square though, so things didn’t go smoothly. We ended up having to remove a piece of trim and cut out a section of drywall to fit the Ikea cabinet. This isn’t a big deal, because this wall will eventually get moved out a few feet anyway (the fridge will wind up in this spot later). That also meant we couldn’t slide it all the way back so there is a big gap behind it.
We also got a super cheap storage box to hang over the canning jar rack. It basically holds everything that was sitting on the old oven and items that were on the counter. Ikea was about to close when we got there so I forgot to get doors for it. Really, with our messy kitchen, it doesn’t matter. One cool thing about the picture below is the new drywall Lee added around the top of the masonry chimney (which used to stop about 6″ short of the ceiling). You could see petrified mice stick out of the rubble of the missing blocks before we sealed it up and painted it. Yeah, really gross.
These two storage pieces cleaned up a lot of my counters, so now I have more space to work. It’s amazing!
Lee says that since I spruced up the kitchen I should take the duct tape off the broken window pane and replace it with clear tape. He also thinks I should paint the window trim. You can still see the previous tenant’s slap dash job of painting it. Edging was too much work for them, as was taking down the curtains which must have been there once. I don’t think I will paint them though, because it seems like it would be a pain to paint all those muntins if we are just going to replace them. Who knows. Maybe I will get around to it.
The extremely stained and nasty looking non-working dishwasher became my new cast iron pot holder. You can’t pretty up everything.
One area I didn’t deal with is the space behind the sink. I can’t get it clean and the warped piece of moldy trim is just so nasty. Maybe I can think of a cheap way to improve this too.