Garden scampi

I was weeding around some garlic when I first saw “the bug”. I thought it was a bee and I didn’t want to get stung so I stopped weeding the garlic. The next day I was weeding around the squash and I saw “the bug” again. I decided to be brave since there was a shell of its former self nearby and I carried it back to the house. There I started yelling for Lee to “COME OUT BECAUSE I HAVE A BUG!” He looked at it and promptly told me I had a cicada.

I then wished I had a lot of them so I could fry them up and eat them in hot sauce like Ron did. Eating one lonely cicada seemed like a lot of work so I put it on a tree. If I keep finding them in the garden though they better watch out. I wonder if I could serve them as an appetizer…

This entry was posted in Nature. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Garden scampi

1. Phil says:

Hey! Good to see you guys back on the blog – I was missing the updates! Understandable though… this is definitely the busy time of the year. I like the cicada idea though – good value added product for the farm 🙂

Aw, sorry about that. We’ve been so busy that when it comes time to writing late evening I just want to veg out.

I think a cicada farm has a nice sound to it. 😀

Heh heh… to be honest, I was relieved when the ‘ground shrimp’ flew off so I could cease my culinary experiments. 🙂

HA! That is funny. You said they were good though. I really wanted to try eating one after reading your post on it.

3. Phoebe says:

Bingo! I found a less mature one in my garden yesterday. It came crawling up out of the loose soil looking slimy but it wasn’t. It was just oddly shiny. It was strange to see.
    I did not think about eating it.
    Although, when I was a kid, I had a dog who would walk around the farm sniffing the ground when the cicada’s were about to come out. He could smell where they were just under the soil and he would dig them up and eat them like they were yummy.

Phoebe, that is so funny about your dog!!

They do look kind of slimy don’t they. When I had it on my hand it’s feet felt very sticky like they had little suction cups on them.

4. Heidi says:

I’ve never ate a bug before but I would like to. I suppose it is a good reason to visit Hong Kong. The street vendors there sell all sorts, however, a simpler solution would be for you to fry me up some of these little beauties from the garden 🙂 I’ll be headed right over.

I keep finding their shells in the garden but no more cicadas. I wonder if their hatching period is over with. I can just picture me going to the garden with a jar and filling it up with bugs to fry for you. Maybe I could grind some up and put it in those broccoli fritters you were talking about. Yummy!

5. too cold here..they look sorta like pistachios..but to eat them you would need to be nutty!..not you Ron! hehe

I stay away from bugs..too many slugs in spinach as a child!