On June 22nd we started letting the small chicks out of their coop during the day. After several hours of them refusing to leave the safety of their home, I went out and sat in the chicken pen. One by one they plucked up their courage and ventured out. There were many episodes of chicken drama and freak-outs.
This chicken is supposed to be a Red Sex-Link. It is very friendly and brave. We are somewhat suspicious that it is a rooster. (If it’s a rooster, then it’s not a Red Sex-Link.)
This chicken is supposed to be a Rhode Island Red. I find this puzzling as our last Rhode Island Reds looked nothing like them in coloration. They were deep red with no light variations. These farm store chickens seem suspicious to me.
This chicken was one of the reduced price mystery chicks. It looks like our other Ameraucana hens.
This is one of the Welsummer chicks. They look spot on to pictures of the breed online so I feel pretty confidant they truly are Welsummers. They seem to be more hesitant (along with the Black Australorps) then the Rhode Island Reds and the Red Sex-Links.
The chicks have a lot of greenery to eat down. At first you could barely see them when they were wandering around in the tall weeds. Three weeks later, the pen is starting to look a little more trimmed.
They are enjoying their new found freedom everyday. Now when I open the door to their coop they all pile out anxious to start their day doing fun chicken stuff. We’ve been tracking our feed costs for this batch, and their feed consumption had dropped significantly since they were released.