One less Port Orford Cedar

Saturday we had some professional arborists remove a dead tree near our house. We have spent the last 4 years believing that our big grove of trees contained only Douglas Firs and Western Red Cedars. The tree guys took one look at it and told us the dead tree was a Port Orford Cedar. Unfortunately, it died of a root fungus disease that commonly affects this species. It’s nice to know we have a few more of these uncommon trees on the property (beyond the two we removed in 2009), but now I’m worried that we are going to start losing a cedar to disease each year. The extra wood is nice to burn, but it doesn’t even begin to cover the costs of having one climbed and cut.

Next time a tree dies by our house we are going to have it dealt with sooner. When one of the guys was climbing the tree, it started wobbling so much that they had to tie it off to a neighboring tree to stabilize it. Even then, when he cut the top out, the rest of the tree swung so badly that he said he need a minute to catch his breath.

I’ve never seen wood so dry that was just cut. I have started the wood stove twice now from the wood and not a drop of water foams out of it.

Lee started splitting the wood rounds today. It smells amazing outside our back door with all the fresh split cedar.

This entry was posted in Cleanup. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to One less Port Orford Cedar

I’m surprised he climbed it as I should think his survival was more a matter of luck than good sense.

LOL. I’m glad he did climb it as I didn’t want the tree falling on our house this winter. The arborist actually had his brother go up the tree as he was lighter. The brother is an arborist in Seattle and was visiting for the day.

i’ll bet it does smell good. I used cedar chips to start my fires for Dye Day yesterday and it smelled wonderful! At least you have instant fire wood that doesn’t have to season.

That instant firewood is a perk! Lee finished chopping all the wood today on his lunch break so now there is a big pile waiting for me to use.

3. ..I have a large spruce near our house I need to cut down too..I think I am going to climb it ( or shoot an arrow attached to a line..) then tie it down before I cut it..I have been talking about it for 4 years now but I can’t seem to muster the bravado to cut a tree that could crush our house if cut wrong..perhaps I need more beer.

You couldn’t get me up a tree with a beer or 20. lol. Lee and I don’t know anything about falling trees so when they are close to our house we just bring in a professional. We don’t want our place smashed to smithereens either. The tree was about 20 feet from the house with a slant toward it that was making me very worried. It died spring of 2011.

That was really interesting. I looked up Port Orford cedars…neat stuff!

Glad the tree came down where it was supposed to. It’s definitely one of those tasks best left to professionals with lots of liability insurance.

Exactly! If the tree came down on our house we didn’t want to be responsible for the damage. I asked the first arborist who took down the original two trees if he had ever smashed a house. I believe he said he had two accidents, one with a shed and one with a power line in his long career. Not bad. I was still in bed when the recent guys came out so I didn’t get to quiz them. ­čÖé

5. Joshua says:

You burnt the cedar?? Why not use the wood to make a new sills for your barn?

Hi Joshua. We actually have a big pile of cedar logs stacked from the first two we had taken out by the house. Lee wants to try milling them but we haven’t got around to it yet with all the other things we need to do.

Also, with the amount of insect damage this particular tree has suffered I don’t think there would be much usable wood left to mill.