Spaghetti squash

I collected all the Spaghetti squash from the garden today. I’ve never actually eaten one before so I hope I like them. We had two plants in the garden and it looks like we got about 30 squash. I think they went into overdrive because that seems like a ridiculous amount.

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Spaghetti squash

1. Woody says:

We love spaghetti squash! One of my favorite recipes is boiling the squash whole ( you’ll appreciate this after you try to half one with a bigaz butcher knife), split and remove the seeds and fork out the squash meat. Heat up some other veggies of your choice. I like to caramelize some onions and stir fry some broccoli, carrots and asparagus if we have it fresh. I then add the other veggies and the squash meat back into the halves, add some marinara sauce and cheese of your choice on top, then into the oven to bake till the chefs is starting to brown. Yum!

I gave a couple squash to a friend and she called me up wanting to know how to get them open. I had no idea they were so hard. I had a tiny one that didn’t ripen all the way and I took a metal baseball bat to it as I was trying to smash it open for the chickens.

That is a good tip for cooking it. I will have to try it. We have some left over pasta sauce so maybe tomorrow for lunch I can give it a go. Yummy. 🙂

2. becky3086 says:

You know, I have never tried it before either but Woody that recipe sounds wonderful!

What are you going to DO with it all? Nice looking wheelbarrow you’ve got there. I can’t tell if the bucket is metal or a plasticized composite, and I’ve never heard of the brand. Do you also have one of those two-wheeled garden carts? If I had room for one, I probably would.

I have no idea snowbrush. I’ve already given some away as I don’t want quite that much. I’m having a hard time as it is finding places to store all the onions, garlic, potatoes, squash, etc.

The bucket is metal and is one we picked up at Jerry’s 4 years ago. We have that wheelbarrow and a two-wheeled garden cart. I love both of them but the two-wheeled cart is my go-to for big jobs. Right now it is piled high with garden debris that I am clearing out for winter.

They are awesome with butter and parmesean cheese on them. Just like spaghetti but much better for you. And they keep very well, too.

Oh that sounds really good. Just reading about butter and cheese on squash is making me hungry. 🙂 That is nice to know they store well.

5. yes..How Woody does it is how we do it too ( we actually split it, seed it and put it in a shallow pan with 1/2 inch of water(cut side down) to roast)..it actually eats like spaghetti ( a fork, rolled with a spoon then washed down with red wine..I am pretty sure red wine reallllly helps with digestion)..that is a haul!

I’m excited to try one. When I was shopping in the store yesterday I noticed there were spaghetti squash for sale. I had never noticed them before but I’m sure it’s just because I wasn’t looking.

• Jennifer says:

I cook mine pretty much the same way. I heat half of it, cut side down, in the microwave in a bit of water, on a glass pie plate, all covered with plastic wrap. can’t recall how long… Then carefully loosen the fibers with a fork to keep them long. If its overlooked, the fibers break into short bits, but taste great still. Butter, garlic, Parmesan is my favorite way to go.

We ate a spaghetti squash tonight and boy was it groovy looking. I’ve never seen a squash do that before. We had some left over pasta sauce from canning so I just used that instead of butter, garlic, and Parmesan. Those three items sounds like a good way to make a killer tasting dish. I’m excited about trying another one now. 🙂

6. Pingback: Winter squash final tally | Farm Folly

7. It is very brave to plant something that’s going to yield a whole lot of a vegetable you’ve never eaten before. True confession: I’ve never eaten it either (the idea that people pass of squash as pasta always put me off, I think), so I’m waiting to hear what you think.

I liked it but I didn’t love the recipe we used. I am going to make it differently next time. We have a whole lot of them to use so I will either love them by summer or never plant them again. I was surprised to see some in the grocery store after we harvested them. I wasn’t sure if they always sold them or I was just blind and over looked them because I didn’t know what they were.

8. tracy says:

You will love them. and the nice thing is how long they keep. I kept one on my counter for over a year.

9. Nikasha says:

FYI if you do the spaghetti squash again, you can pick them all summer and they are perfectly ripe when they are younger as well. I’m not sure they will taste as good when they get as big as most of the ones in your wheelbarrow.

Cutting them open raw like some of the comments suggest sounds really hard. I always line a pan with foil, fork some holes in the outside of the squash and bake it whole. It is a cinch to cut in half once cooked.

Spaghetti squash is my favorite squash, but we didn’t grow any last year, because it is so prolific in our garden, and we just can’t eat that many. Kudos to you if you actually ate all your squashes!

That is good to know. I was really astounded by how much two plants produced. I feel bad admitting this, but I really didn’t like how they tasted. I’ve given a bit away and have been feeding some to the geese and chickens.