Winter squash final tally

I finished tearing out the dead squash vines today and got my first good look at what we grew for the season. It seems like some of the squash plants did well, others average, and a few quite poorly.

We planted one Magic Lantern and got back 4 beautiful pumpkins. I was really impressed with how nice they looked.

We planted two Howden squash and got back four pumpkins. They had a few blemishes on them and weren’t as uniform, but they were still very pretty.

I said I wasn’t going to and then I did: I planted another Dill’s Atlantic Giant which turned out rather diminutive. We got one pumpkin off one plant. These pumpkins are so ugly that unless you want to devote the time to make a super-duper-uber gigantic pumpkin they never really impress. Next year I am swearing off them for good. Maybe. It’s not really a loss either way, because the chickens and geese will eat it. Actually they’ll eat all the other pumpkins too, as I didn’t grow any pie pumpkins.

I planted two Mesa Queen acorn squash and we got back nineteen. This plant seems to do really well here, much like the Spaghetti squash.

Two Sweet Meat plants produced seven squash. Some of the squash were big and some of them were small. I thought they looked really pretty. This is our first successful Sweet Meat harvest.

Lastly, we had a pathetic showing on the one Delicata squash we planted. Only three squash developed. I liked the colors in them as they remind me of someone painting stripes with watercolors.

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Winter squash final tally

1. Tonya says:

I am so impressed. I came across this blog not long ago witht the intention of reading if from the beginning post to the present and now that I have finished reading this post all that I can think of is how hard-working you two are and how you don’t give up. The garden this year looked amazing and the house is looking beautiful. You have a new fan. 🙂

Thanks Tonya! It’s definitely a lot of work, but I think the blog has a way of highlighting the progress more than it seems in real life. We spend a lot of time not working hard too. 🙂

2. Phil says:

Nice crop this year! That Dill’s Atlantic Giant though….. That’s a pumpkin only the pumpkin’s mother could love 🙂 (Still may try it though lol )

LOL. That is true Phil. It’s got to be one of the ugliest pumpkins. My problem is I want to plant it, forget about it, and then have it do it’s enormous growing without me babying it along. Every year I see these huge pumpkins sitting around farm stores or read news stories about competitions and then I forget my resolve. 🙂

LOL…I swore off the Atlantic Giant pumpkins, too! Never again LOL! But it’s the sort of thing you need to plant to satisfy your curiosity.

Your pumpkins look fabulous, and the acorn squash…yummmm. My favorite. We bake them with maple syrup. It’s like dessert!

I love planting odd things. Every year I have to try something new to keep the gardening fun. Next year I am dying to grow some Peter Peppers. They sound like a good thing to give you a giggle every time you walk by it. Though I bet Lee wont let me post pictures as he never does when it comes to naughty looking veg.

I’ve never tried acorn squash with maple syrup. Usually I do brown sugar and butter. I’m going to try some with the syrup now. Yummy!

4. Ali says:

Those Magic Lantern pumpkins looks great! And good yield on the squash. I got quite a few butternut squash, amazingly considering how neglected they were, but can’t recall how many just now.
    I think you need to reconsider growing the Atlantic Giants again — they are very versatile. You can make them into a boat if you grow one big enough: http://henbogle.com/2007/10/09/pimped-out-pumpkins/

How are you? Hope all is well!
    Ali

GAH! Now I want to try growing one again. I can just picture myself paddling around the lake trying to get a rise out of people. Besides, if you get hungry you have a ready made snack. You just beak a piece off and eat it. Hahahaaaaaa

It’s been a long summer but I am feeling a little better. Thanks for asking. 🙂 Its been pretty quiet over at Henbogle recently. How have you been?

• Ali says:

Overwhelmed with new boss, other staffer out on maternity leave and now not returning to work, ugh, and we are renovating the bathroom. Double, noo, triple ugh. Gonna start up the blog again, though, I miss it. Glad to know you are feeling better. Can’t wait to get out there again!

I’m so glad to hear from you. It has been so quiet over on your blog I was getting worried. I figured you were probably busy as that is what usually makes us not post. Though I did wonder if maybe you were planning a quick move out to the northwest and would show up any day. lol.

5. Will says:

How do you ward off the squash vine borers and squash bugs? All my squash plants were destroyed by them.

We don’t get vine borers as they apparently stay east of the Rockies. We do get cucumber beetles and they are annoying. They wiped out some of our small plants early this summer. Next year we are going to try a cloche during the intense part of their life cycle.

According to Steve Solomon, you can slit the squash vine at the base up to where you find the borer to destroy it. Then you can try throwing shovelfuls of dirt over various parts of a vining squash so it will root along with the spot where you sliced the plant. That way the newly rooted parts will help keep the whole squash plant from dying.