New addition at Farm Folly

If you think things have been strangely quiet at Farm Folly lately you’d be right. Last summer Robin started work on a new construction project, the details of which we had been debating for years. We didn’t mention it on the blog, but the work affected all of our other projects. As the summer progressed, exposure to the harsh construction chemicals left Robin feeling sick and exhausted almost constantly. We scaled back our other plans for the year, and I took over most of the chores and gardening.

Summer transitioned to a rainy fall and mild winter as our new project slowly took form. One likes to imagine that all jobs can be a joint effort, but sometimes one person unavoidably bears the brunt. In this case Robin was responsible for all the major construction work and thus continued to be exhausted and miserable. No stage of the construction could be described as easy or pleasant. A few weeks ago the first phase of construction was finally complete and we are ready to share photos of our new addition. Her name is Sidney.

New baby

Fortunately, Sidney has agreed to manage her own construction going forward so long as we supply the building materials. This has freed Robin from the task, and she is already feeling much better. You’ll probably see more of Sidney in the future, but we have no plans of changing the focus of this site. Our post rate should soon return to normal. Auditory discord induced insomnia provides lots of opportunities for writing.

Baby Sidney

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to New addition at Farm Folly

1. ShimFarm says:

AWESOME!!!

Well, finally! I’ve been cyber-stalking your blog for the past few weeks, waiting for an update. Of all the “Things we forgot to mention in 2012” LOL!

Welcome, little Sidney! Welcome!

Robin and Lee – she is beautiful. Congratulations!

Thanks Ann!

I kept thinking I would write up a blog post about her in the evenings but I was always too beat. I was about ready to say, “Hey yea’all, we had a kid” and leave it at that. lol I am so happy not to be prego anymore. It’s great to be back to feeling like my old self again instead of an invalid.

Lee and I did find it somewhat humorous that we didn’t mention Sidney in the “Things we forgot to mention in 2012” post. 😀 I was trying not to barf as I was sitting in front of that big pot of tomatoes. hehe

Yeah! Congrats you two! I cannot believe you didn’t mention you were having a baby before this! She is so beautiful, so very awesome! Amazing, isn’t it? I’m happy for you all. I look forward to hearing about her in the future. Even though you won’t change the focus of the blog, it’ll be nice to see her in the photos and see her mentioned!

Hey, maybe you should have saved some of those balls and toys you removed from the place? 🙂 Ok, maybe not, they were decrepit and old.

Welcome to the world, Little Sidney! Congrats Lee & Robin!

Thanks Lynn! We hadn’t decided how much we were going to share at first as we want to give Sidney some online anonymity when she is older. We also wanted to make sure the pregnancy went well.

We did save a few toys from the clean up. Mostly building blocks and some little people. When we were cleaning the place up I don’t think we were envisioning saving things for if we had a kid. It was more for some little relatives that visited at the time.

3. Woody says:

Well congratulations you two! Quite a project you decided to take on there. The very best kind. Full of surprises and a wonderful way to adjust focus on what in the hell we are here for.

She’s beautiful!

Thanks Woody! The enormity of the project is probably what kept us from starting on one for so long. lol. We are excited about it and a little nervous as we aren’t naive about the effort.

4. That’s the best blog post ever!

Congrats!

5. Becky says:

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful. That was a post that was well worth waiting for.

Thank you Becky! We didn’t have a whole lot to write about lately as we haven’t done much such I got pregnant. Writing 32 posts about how sick I felt all the time would have been pretty lame. After we have settled more into the baby routine we are going to start being more productive around here. 🙂

6. Ali says:

Adorable. So happy to see more photos! A package is coming soon, I promise!

She has been pretty chill Ali and we are appreciating it (other than some rage-fests at night when she doesn’t want to sleep). Even though it hasn’t been that long since I popped her out, it seems like she has been around for ages. I’m looking forward to your package. 🙂

7. Phil says:

Congratulations! That’s great news! When our son was born, we eliminated a lot of our outdoor projects, and looking back, realize that the amount we stopped doing was WAY too much. I know we couldn’t put as much into our other projects with a newborn, but it took us awhile to understand that not only did we want to have that kind of lifestyle for us, but now for a growing family. Again… congrats! You guys are going to be great parents!

Thanks for the encouragement Phil. We aren’t planning on giving up many projects, but the last 4 years have taught us that when summer arrives we much prefer to be out digging in the garden than sweltering on the second floor installing insulation.

8. How absolutely wonderful. Wonderful! My best wishes for a rich, full, family life.

Hey, hey, hey, cuter than a turnip I would say, but then turnips are awfully lovely. I guess the difference is that babies are more interesting to watch, although I did spend twenty hours one day staring at a turnip in rapt abandon, but that probably just means that I could spend more than that staring at a baby.

Well, I find Sidney pretty interesting, but I don’t think I could stare at her for 20 minutes uninterrupted, let alone 20 hours. Perhaps the Internet has ruined my attention span.

Well, that explains everything – and this was definitely worth the wait. Congratulations!

Thanks Benita. It was a long wait for me. lol. I was talking with a friend yesterday and he said time flew by for him. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Times goes by fast when you aren’t the one pregnant. Ha!

11. John says:

I was wondering why there have been no new blog entries! 🙂 congrats to the both of you!

Thanks John. With me being sick so much of the past 8 months there wasn’t much to write about. The spring weather has been making me really itchy to start on some projects though. 🙂

12. Phoebe says:

That was one stealthy project. I fell behind on my blog reading for a few weeks and when I come back you’ve sprouted a baby! And a gorgeous, blue ribbon one to boot.
    Our sincerest congratulations! You’ll soon discover that every day with a baby gets better and better.

13. Pingback: Returning to our perches | Farm Folly