The garden looks bare this year

There isn’t much going on in the garden as I refuse to work out there until we get a few things done in the house. Once we start gardening it seems like all house project are put on hold for the summer. We have to make things a bit safer inside for a kid once Sidney starts crawling this fall.

I walked around outside today and was surprised to see fruit on the trees. I don’t know why it should come as a shock to me but I hadn’t looked at the fruit trees in a while. This year’s crop looks to be bigger then last year’s. I am trying not to feel guilty about not pruning the trees, but there is always next year.

Apples in the tree

Last year I planted a small row of Borage to help attract bees. This year it looks a like a Borage bomb went off from all the seed that self sowed.

Borage bomb

Over the winter we let the chickens have the run of the garden. With all the weeding we did last year combined with all the chicken munching it looked pretty good weed wise.

Bare garden

Spring came and I put the chickens back in their designated pen so the dogs could have a play area. Since we weren’t rototilling and gardening it looks like this now. I’m trying not to think about it. On the bright side, the stupid cucumber beetles are going to be really disappointed this year. I hope they all starve.

Garden exploding with weeds

We have a few artichokes that are getting ready to be picked. Over the winter a gopher killed three plants so we only have two left.

Artichoke

It looks like there are a few sunflowers coming up from the seed that was dropped by the plants last year. I was happy to see that. We had a whole bunch of sunflowers sprout earlier from dropped seed but the chickens ate all the seedlings as they were still in the garden at that time.

Sunflowers coming up from last years seed

Since I don’t have big blocks of time to do things outside the garlic was neglected. I finally checked on it and it looks really rough. It seems like I have a bad case of garlic rust. I’m thinking it was probably made worse by the fact I hadn’t weeded around them so the air couldn’t circulate.

Sickly looking garlic

I started weeding on the beds but I didn’t get very far before I had to go inside. This is what most of the garlic beds look like.

Garlic in the weeds

Lee has felt guilty about the lack of garden. I actually feel a bit relieved and just avoid the plant sections of stores. Next year it should be easier as I won’t be so tied down. Sidney will be old enough that we can give her a little section to plant some seeds and hopefully get her addicted to gardening too. ­čÖé

This entry was posted in Gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The garden looks bare this year

I have a lot more fun gardening when it isn’t competing with a lot of other things. I almost didn’t put one in this year so we could focus on construction… but ended up with about 33×30 (roughly 1000 square feet), and I really like that size. Not so big that it consumes all our time, but plenty big enough to grow a lot of food.

I remember the post where you were considering skipping the garden this year too. I’ll bet 30′ square is a nice size to still get other things done, about a quarter of what we usually plant. If we didn’t have a newborn, we might have done that. As it is, we’ve just barely kept up with the mowing.

2. Phil says:

That’s what I love about things like asparagus, rhubarb, berries, fruit trees, grape vines, etc….. Putting the effort in upfront for those kind of things pays off in those years where you just don’t have the time for the yearly gardens. That’s my chore this fall when we move back to Colorado.

Yes, perennials are definitely a worthy investment for your time. Our rhubarb and asparagus are just barely surviving, like every other year (soil problems?), but the fruit trees and blueberries look good, and with a little help the hops will do fine this year too.

3. Ali says:

I’d say you are doing pretty well considering you have Sidney to care for!

Who knew that having a baby would wipe out at least two productive summers for one person? Robin was so sick last summer that she couldn’t leave the house, and this summer we can’t both leave at the same time.

4. There are only so many things we can do in a year. And, if you’re interested in doing any of them at all well, there are even fewer. You just got one big, important thing added to your to-do list, so it’s perfectly natural that a few things are going to drop off the bottom.

We decided to forgo livestock this year, and we don’t even have a baby! We just wanted to fish and hunt and garden better, and we figured it would be easier without pigs and turkeys.

Next year, the garden will be there, rested and ready.

I can definitely see the benefit in prioritizing hunting and gardening over livestock. Our laying hens are low maintenance, but the meat birds were a constant hassle and the pigs were always getting into something.

At this point, I can’t imagine trying to work on a garden with everything else. The garden may be a little frightening next year … we are growing a bumper crop of every conceivable weed.

5. ..what a shame but gardening is time consuming..and if you have a small child it would be crazy busy…I don’t blame ya!

The weather has been crazy here this spring. We’ve only caught up with the mowing once, and it’s rained ever since. At this point, I feel sorry for the people who did garden this year.

“I refuse to work out there until we get a few things done in the house.”

I haven’t heard that this has is proving to be a successful tactic. Might I suggest that you simply do the work yourself, at least as much of it as you can. You can learn pretty much anything from books, and power tools are generally easy to use with a little practice. Otherwise, you’re going to be on Lee’s schedule, or so it appears to this reader.

“…the stupid cucumber beetles are going to be really disappointed this year. I hope they all starve.”

Obviously, you’re not a Christian or else you would love all of God’s creatures and do your part to keep them well fed.