Cold winter days

It’s cold here! How’s the weather where you are at?

Icy bamboo leaves

Old hops bines

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Cold winter days

1. Phil says:

So far, as low as -8 in Western Colorado. Too cold, too soon :)

2. Sarah J. says:

My fiancee and I live in the Sierras and got 7″ of snow dumped on us overnight. Spent most of the day digging out the long driveway because it will get down to 15 degrees tonight and tomorrow… Good thing we have a heater in the shape of a 75lb. snuggly Malamute puppy!

Love your blog! I came across it recently when feeling homesick for Oregon and was hooked. We have 3 more weeks before moving back to Salem so we can find our own diamond in the rough to polish and polish and polish. Great to see we are not the only crazy people out there… keep up the good work!

Sounds cold over there Sarah! The majority of people over here don’t know how to drive in snow (me included because I’ve never done it) and there were over 300 wrecks yesterday. I don’t envy you the long dig out of your driveway. Thankfully we didn’t need to go anywhere this weekend so no digging out for us. :)

Thanks for the nice words about our blog. We haven’t been as active on it since our baby came last March. Salem is a nice place to end up though. I hope your move goes smooth!

3. ShimFarm says:

You don’t even want to !@#$ing know! Snow. Snow. Snow.

And towards the end of the week? We’ve got lows of -20C or -4F in the forecast.

Sob. I *so* want to live in the Pacific Northwest.

But, our house is warm, the wood stove is toasty, the wood is cut and split, and we have a new puppy who enjoys the snow! This winter I’ll be forced to embrace the elements with our new doggy!

Be careful what you wish for! Soon after Robin wrote this post, we had a mass of Arctic air move in over the area and it hit -9*F one night and -2*F the following night. Nothing in Oregon is built for those temperatures and there were burst water mains and flooded schools all over town.

My dog loves the snow too. One of the small highlights of cold weather is to watch her run through snow banks like she’s lost her mind with happiness. Robin’s dog turns into a snowball and melts all over the house.

4. There was a slight chance last week we could get a lovely hoar frost so it was a topic of discussion that day. I got a text from a non-naturey friend asking “what’s whore frost?” Haha I told her it was frost that formed in the morning when whores are going home. I so hope she’ll share her explanation with other people.

That is so brilliant. Now I want to give that explanation to someone! I think I am going to smile every time I think about hoar frost from now on out. :)

5. Jennifer says:

My daughter’s a freshman at U of O in Eugene. It was -2 about a week ago there. She forgot about a case of Mountain Dew cans in her trunk until today… Two didn’t make it. Sticky, crusty trunk. :) Gotta love 18year olds!

Yeah, it was pretty miserable here. That is funny and awful about your daughters trunk. I think I have a vague memory of being a teen and a soda that somehow exploded. I can’t remember what happened exactly but maybe I just forgot on purpose. :) I just remember the sticky mess.