Kitchen makeover

We decided to do some remodeling in our kitchen. I’m really digging the new open floor plan, although it is short on counter space.

Kitchen ripped out

This entry was posted in Renovation. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Kitchen makeover

1. ShimFarm says:

Robin, you have my sympathy. You know we’re hard-core, but I have to say you gave me a bit of a start with that photo. I’m just hoping that you’re going to follow up with a new, improved photo with EVERYTHING done, just so I can stop worrying about you LOL. As in a new, improved photo…NOW!!!!

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you guys. Good luck.

(And was there no insulation behind that drywall??? And why are there roof trusses missing???)

No need to worry–the “EVERYTHING done” photos will be along in a couple months I think. Our progress slowed too much with the little one running around, so we’ve gone all sorts of crazy and hired some people who solve problems. I think they took pity on us.

The kitchen was actually one of the few places that had insulation in the original house. When the photo was taken it was already bagged up and out the door, since some rather drastic things are happening in this space. The missing 2-by’s are actually just ceiling joists, which were cut during a previous improvement project and needed to be replaced anyway. They don’t affect the roof. The bigger concern was that glulam which supports one quarter of the second floor sitting on a top plate with a huge notch in it and no post beneath. (Look straight up from the right side of the green window.) That’s been fixed already too.

2. Jennifer says:

Cannot wait to see the finished product. Hope it’s done fast and easy for you guys!

Thanks! It won’t be fast, but it will be faster than if we were doing it all. We’re very excited about it all being done too!

3. Woody says:

It’s so nice to gut a renovation if you can. In the long term it pays better in the quality of the finished room and the peace of mind knowing that what is hidden is correct. I enjoy watching your projects.

I’m so glad it’s getting done Woody. It’s going to seem completely different after everything is finished. Cooking on a hot plate is so old news.
      ­čÖé

4. Any updates on the kitchen? We have started ours… great time of year to do a kitchen remodel! It was 15 degrees out last night!

Oh my goodness, does this ever bring back memories. Ours took about a year and a half from start to finish. But I see this post is dated almost 2 months ago! I hope all is well and that you’ve made some good progress.

6. Margy says:

Upgrading a kitchen is hard, but so worth it. I redid mine in 2011. I couldn’t get any more physical space, but by reorganizing and getting new propane appliances I now have a very functional and attractive space. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress. – Margy