Kitchen progress

Work has been steady over here and projects are starting to get close to wrapping up. The kitchen is nearly complete. The counter tops and window sills were installed last Friday. They are Silestone composite quartz.

silestone composite quartz marengo

The pulls and knobs were attached on Saturday. I have no idea why our builder was there on a Saturday.

Kitchen

The tile back splash was installed Tuesday.

Liquid marble tiles

We went with “liquid marble” subway tiles to continue the monotone theme for the kitchen.

Pulls and knobs

After cooking on a wood stove and hotplates (balanced on a washing machine) for six years, we are beyond excited to finally have a usable kitchen.

Interior wall of kitchen

This entry was posted in Renovation. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Kitchen progress

1. ShimFarm says:

I have so many things I want to say, and all begin with “holy !@#$”. (Choose your preferred expletive).

Really. OMG. I cannot believe how AMAZING everything looks. You have been a patient woman, Robin. Wasn’t the wait worth it?

Love all your finishes…the back splash, the counters, the cabinets, the handles…all of it.

Just dumb struck…way to go, you guys!

LOL, thanks Ann. I’ve been a bit surprised at how well everything has turned out. I told Lee that the house seems way too nice for us almost. I guess it’s making up for how horrid it was the past six years. It’s going to be so amazing having lights and outlets and a bathroom that isn’t falling in and walls and doors and a dishwasher and no more tools in the house and a million other things that normal people take for granted. 🙂

Cooking on the hot plates and small toaster oven we had made me not want to cook. It made Lee determined to make spectacular creations (all while wearing a head lamp so he could see) because challenges are meant to be overcome. I did hear a lot of swearing as the hot plates were trying to burn or not cooking fast enough.

I’ve got more kitchen stuff that has been stored for six years because we didn’t have any room for it in the old kitchen. I will have to get reacquainted with my stand mixer again. Do you know how bloody hard it is to mix butter by hand in the middle of winter? I would sit by the wood stove to mix so it would help soften the room temperature butter. Seriously, it sounds like I live in 1901 with these complaints. Hehehe.

2. Woody says:

There is no way in hell I’m showing this post to my wife! Y’all would have me working ten years beyond retirement to pay for a kitchen remodel. I really love all the choices in styles and material. You’ve nailed the perfect kitchen in my book.

3. jennifer says:

Love it Love it Love it! It looks fantastic. I envy your opportunity to make all your own choices and have it be completely brand new. Must feel like luxury after the last six ‘challenging’ years in cooking. Great job!

Yes, it’s way nicer than we could have hoped for. We still talk about how it doesn’t really feel like the same house, perhaps because it was in such a state for so long. The office is the only real point of continuity during the remodel, and we repainted while it was empty so it feels different too.

4. Phoebe says:

Congratulations!!!! I’m so excited for the three of you. I do know the pain of cooking on hot plates and freezing glasses of water on the counter. But how you manged to this point with a little one, I can’t imagine. You are very resilient.
    I agree with Woody, you may have raised the bar for all of us with that kitchen.
    Enjoy it, you have certainly earned it!

I don’t remember water freezing, but our olive oil routinely froze. We made it as far as we did because Sidney was a late walker (13 months), so she couldn’t get into things quite as easily. As soon as she was truly mobile, it was pretty obvious that we weren’t going to finish this on our own. I’m thankful that we had options for bringing in outside help.

5. Ali says:

Holy Cow!

That is one gorgeous kitchen! What color is the wall paint? What kind of cabinets? MORE PHOTOS PLEASE!

I hope you guys are well. I have finally recovered from losing my State Legislature race, and we are embarking on a new project this summer, a foreclosure rehab we will then rent. Your kitchen is giving me some ideas!

Sorry I’m so late at responding to everyone! We moved back in and then the summer started for real and it’s been crazy here. We had to battle our way back into the garden, and I still haven’t reclaimed all of the orchard from the 5 foot grass. We’ll get more pictures up soon.

We really really love the kitchen, which is good because I spend a lot of time in there. The walls are Benjamin Moore “Nantucket Gray HC-111”. It looks either gray or green, depending on the lighting or which adjoining room you are looking from. The cabinets were built by a local cabinet maker. He was competitive on price against the box stores and much better built. I was sad to hear he is retiring, because we were going to call him back for bedroom built-ins next year. All the drawers and doors are soft close too, which is great with a kid in the house.

Wow, I had no idea you ran for State Legislature! Very cool. There’s always next time, eh? 🙂