A couple of our All Blue potato plants have put on fruit. This is the second time I have seen this happen on potato plants. Lee suggested saving the seed balls but I don’t really want to devote the time to breeding potatoes right now. Maybe later.
This spring we finished planting and moving established bushes to their new spot along the garden fence. We also managed to fertilize, sulfur, mulch, and get the dripper hose installed. This is the best crop we’ve had so far and hopefully with the slow release sulfer the next years crop will be even better.
Some people put netting up for birds but so far we only have one major predator.
There is one Sungold tomato on the plant that is almost ripe. Lee and I are both watching it with tingling taste buds. When it is finally ripe we will have to cut it into thirds. We will cry a little when Sidney drops hers in the dirt.
Eight pints of pickled cauliflower. I make these for me as Lee doesn’t like them.
A gopher (no, not the big one) damaged two of our long-season baking potato plants. They died back so we dug up some very new potatoes. The red potatoes are a short season variety which are almost ready to harvest.
We’ve got a problem that is eating through our onions like they are potato chips. I’m pretty sure it’s a gopher the size of a small dog. Or maybe even a medium sized dog. Lee has been putting new traps out every day for a month and this gopher has been mocking him by tripping the traps and filling the holes. It’s smart. Like genius smart.
A month ago we expanded the goose pen with polywire and fiberglass posts.
The geese were busy and the pen doesn’t look quite as lush any more.
I always feel overwhelmed by the cabbage when it is time to harvest. Nobody wants to eat cabbage for a week straight (like we practically did with the cauliflower). I decided to make two batches of sauerkraut so we now have 13 lbs of kraut fermenting on the counter.
The last time I made sauerkraut I did a sweet version from The Joy of Pickling. Even though everyone loved that recipe, I am doing the traditional version and a wine & juniper kraut from the book this time. I hope they turn out okay because I have a feeling some of our friends are going to be gifted sauerkraut. Hehehe.
We are trying out a new weed block this year. We still used the garden bio-film around the tomatoes but decided to use a recycled paper weed block around the peppers. It’s always fun experimenting with new things. The recycled paper weed block was cheaper than the bio-film but it was a pain to set up. The wind would catch the paper and blow it over which didn’t seem too great for the pepper plants. It seems to be holding up well though.
One of our hens hatched out eight Ameraucana chicks. We added six more chicks we got from a farm store. Four are Delaware and two are Minorcas. The mother hen didn’t seem to notice when she woke up with extra chicks one day.