We couldn’t have kept them in their existing box much longer. Today I found a Rhode Island Red sitting on the edge of the box looking around the room. I picked her up and set her back inside (she’s the friendliest one), but it would be only a matter of time until they started exploring.
So, we finished the final items to seal in the coop, set up a (higher) cardboard divider inside, added 3 inches of pine chip bedding, and then transferred heat lamp, feeders, water founts, and chicks outside. This was a very noisy operation, as they did not like their heat lamp being turned off and subsequently getting put in a box for carry. In their new residence, there was much chirping and fluttering and general mahem until they found the heated area, and then crazed digging as they discovered the joys of flinging wood chips. Hopefully they haven’t undermined all the feeders and overturned them by tomorrow morning. The picture was taken tonight through the coop window after they had a couple hours to settle down. Looks like it’s back to business as usual.